Cundī Dhāraṇī questions

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Matticus

Cundī Dhāraṇī questions

Post by Matticus »

So here is the link I'm reading my information from, http://sutrasmantras.info/sutra02.html

I was wondering if the various prayer rituals combined with the Mantra recitations provide the results that they say they do, in the gross or material sense of the scripture I suppose. I recite the Mantra because I was told it was powerful in removing bad Karma and for compassion. My one experience with this is that while I recited it while driving, I felt a pressure in my chest and then felt a strong wave of what I can best describe as a very strong sense of compassion for the drivers around me. I started to tear up after it. I'll post a few of the examples that I'm talking/curious about, though

“Another dharma is to circle the picture of the bodhi tree clockwise as you recite the mantra 10,000,000 times. You should then have a vision of a [holy] Bodhisattva teaching you the Dharma, and you may choose to follow him.

“Another dharma is to recite the mantra 300,000 times in front of a pagoda, a Buddha image, or a pagoda containing holy relics. Furthermore, on the fifteenth day of a waxing moon, make a large offering and recite the mantra mindfully without eating food for one day and one night. You will even be able to see Vajrapāṇi Bodhisattva, and he can take you to his palace.

Has anyone here accomplished any of these Dharma's? Are they subtle metaphors, or actual results that you can achieve. Such as meeting Vajrapani, or a Bodhisattva that you can actually follow.

Much thanks, and keep warm(It's cold where I'm posting!)

Matt
Adamantine
Former staff member

Re: Cundī Dhāraṇī questions

Post by Adamantine »

Sounds wonderful: are there any more knowledgeable members who know
the history of and/or hermeneutics of this sutra?

I'd be curious it know more, and along with Matt I'd love to hear any stories
of efficacy!
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Minjeay

Post by Minjeay »

Oh, I'm reciting this mantra, but mainly without counting, as I'm neither a monk or nun nor in retreat, so I often recite "on the way".

Cundi is really a great teacher, it's good to make contact with him/her (as I'd agree he's more male than female).
A sadhana can be found at Bill Bodris meditationexpert homepage (or maybe even via google..?).

I've had several wonderful experiences, including a lot of help in leaving bad ways of spirituality, finishing things I wasn't able to finish before, and a general progress in my practice. Concerning concrete "application" I also got a lot of help with a really, really bad injury on a non-material level. But I guess I'm still far away from having recited it even 200,000 times (mantra recitation is not my only practice, and actually in the beginning my practice had been completely different from anything like this), so I'm sorry, but can't tell you about effects of more than this. If you have the time to do one of these rituals reciting it so often, I'd be curious for your experiences :-)

I experience that it's helping a lot for purification, at least purification of your body, speech and mind; I think that IS what you would call removing bad karma. That, in turn, also improves the efficacy of other practices; so I can really recommend reciting this mantra.
He's a very soft teacher, though it is difficult to discribe how this way of "leading" and "teaching" works if you haven't experienced it yourself, and it might also depend on your self-reflective capabilities and your supernatural perception whether you notice that at all. Actually, though I have some lower visions and minor stuff like that, I'm FAR away from clearly perceiving him/her as s/he really is. So of course I've not completely proven it, but concerning the things I already tried and experienced they always worked, so as far as my limited experience allows a judgement I would say that every single word of this dharani is true ;) It can really bring you out of hell, if necessary.

But some words about visions: If you'd ask me, I for my part don't care so much about experiencing something like that. I frequently have the "lower" kind of visions you can have as long as your third eye is not completely open. Somehow they are not so much more but a kind of perceptions, or in other words, one of our deluded ways to perceive things, so the "vision" itself is not the whole truth. How could a vision, as the simulation of the perception of your eyes, be the "whole" truth anyway? .. and I think, the whole truth is what you are or should really be after once you've taken refuge to the Buddha. With the aim to help other beings of course, by realizing the truth; but you really shouldn't be too fond of perceptions.
By the way, reciting the heart sutra is a good additional practice. And being kind to others and improving your virtues, which might mean that sometimes people will hate you for being virtuous. But you can mantra as much as you want - what's the worth of it if it wouldn't help you to in turn help others on their way towards enlightenment? ;-)

If you ask me, honestly - I think if you really do 300,000 repetitions or more, I think nothing's impossible with this mantra, so I don't think it's a metaphor, though it might well be that until you reach this number of repetition your aims, perceptions, and your view of the world in general might have changed a lot ;-)

Have a good evening (ehm.. at least for me it's evening..)

:reading: :namaste:
Matticus

Post by Matticus »

Thanks for the replies Adamantine and Minjeay =) I would also be curious about any other Mantra information as well. Like the Medicine Buddha Mantra for example, has anybody seen the healing ability of this mantra first hand? I would particularly still love to hear more about the Zhunti/Cundi Mantra though.

I've been reciting the mantra for about 3 years now I think, I used to count the recitations but it got pretty hard to keep track of. Mostly due to lack of concistency, not from the amount of the recitations though, hah. I think I can safely put myself in between 200,000 and 300,000 though. Maybe!
Minjeay

Post by Minjeay »

Hm, well, after three years and more than 200,000 you should have some experiences yourself, right?
gloriasteinem

Post by gloriasteinem »

Thats a wonderful topic, I have different experiences with different mantras, but they are realy meaningful to my heart. I dont have a vast knowledge of mantras but I'd love to hear what others say. One of my favourite is OM NAMAS SHIVA. I guess it's a bit of a hindu mantra but still
gloriasteinem

Post by gloriasteinem »

Om Namah Shivaya properly

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”