Does people change their behaviour?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Does people change their behaviour?

Postby villkorkarma » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:57 pm

((I readed on http://www.vri.dhamma.org that if the concentration gets better the morality and visdom gets better too)). Hoe does one change? How does It work? I really wanna know. Thank you
villkorkarma

Re: Does people change their behaviour?

Postby villkorkarma » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:46 pm

Theirs behaviourpattern Changes and creates unagitation. One learns not to react with aversion when It is a unpleasant sensation and with craving If it is a pleasant sensation. But how does It work?
villkorkarma

Postby smcj » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:45 pm

I don't know about the reference you just cited. I've heard that morality is the basis for concentration. When one is immoral one is, in effect, experiencing internal chaos. Life is then like trying to walk around on the deck of a ship being tossed at sea. That is in part whey the Vinaya is important. It gives structure and stability to the mind, and then at that point that stability is used to develop concentration.

But that's not necessarily a Vipassana view on it.
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN
smcj

Postby theanarchist » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:44 pm

villkorkarma wrote:((I readed on http://www.vri.dhamma.org that if the concentration gets better the morality and visdom gets better too)). Hoe does one change? How does It work?

If you have concentration you won't act as easily on sudden emotions as a confused person, therefor you are less prone to negative words and actions.
theanarchist

Postby Simon E. » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:23 pm

There is more possibility of space between perception and reaction.
Simon E.

Postby tumblingsound » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:16 pm

smcj wrote:I don't know about the reference you just cited. I've heard that morality is the basis for concentration. When one is immoral one is, in effect, experiencing internal chaos. Life is then like trying to walk around on the deck of a ship being tossed at sea.

I recall that William James also connected morality with concentration, albeit from a psychological perspective.

"The trouble is to keep the mind upon a train of objects naturally so insipid. To sustain a representation, to think, is, in short, the only moral act, for the impulsive and the obstructed, for sane and lunatics alike. Most maniacs know their thoughts to be crazy, but find them too pressing to be withstood. Compared with them the sane truths are so deadly sober, so cadaverous, that the lunatic cannot bear 'to look them in the face and say, 'Let these alone be my reality !' " William James, The Principles of Psychology, Chapter XXVI
(http://www.informationphilosopher.com/s ... ideas.html)
tumblingsound

Postby villkorkarma » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:11 pm

theanarchist wrote:
villkorkarma wrote:((I readed on http://www.vri.dhamma.org that if the concentration gets better the morality and visdom gets better too)). Hoe does one change? How does It work?

If you have concentration you won't act as easily on sudden emotions as a confused person, therefor you are less prone to negative words and actions.

Thank you much :)
villkorkarma

Postby smcj » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:48 pm

From Gompopa's "Jewel Ornament of Liberation":

Even though you may have the practices of generosity and so forth, it is called scattered if you are without meditative concentration. Under the influence of scattering, your mind is wounded by the fangs of the afflicting emotions.
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN
smcj

Postby muni » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:31 pm

Suffering is to conquer other, liberation is by conquering own mind. I think this must be related to compassionate or judgemental behaviour.

:smile:
muni

Postby muni » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:40 am

This I get to hear here: It is me told to purify own mind, this should give a complete change of behaviour since grasping fades. But I am too busy by checking others their afflictions for their welfare, so I do it later.

:smile:
muni

Return to Exploring Buddhism