How do I become Buddhist?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Zen Buddhism

Postby KerryZenner » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:22 am

I want to become a Zen Buddhist but I am not sure how to. Can anyone help me with this?
KerryZenner

How do I become Buddhist?

Postby KerryZenner » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:24 am

I want to become a Zen Buddhist but I am not quite sure how to.
KerryZenner

Re: Zen Buddhism

Postby Huifeng » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:19 pm

KerryZenner wrote:I want to become a Zen Buddhist but I am not sure how to. Can anyone help me with this?

Pretty much the same way that one becomes any kind of Buddhist, that is, by going to the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha for refuge, and taking the five precepts.

~~ Huifeng
Huifeng

Re: How do I become Buddhist?

Postby Huifeng » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:20 pm

KerryZenner wrote:I want to become a Zen Buddhist but I am not quite sure how to.

By going to the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha for refuge, and preferably taking the five precepts.

~~ Huifeng
Huifeng

Postby Jikan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:42 pm

Hi Kerry,

Ven. Huifeng has it right. But how do you get from here to there?

The most straightforward way to do it is to find others who are doing it, and follow their lead. Take your time in finding a teacher and practice group that meets your needs and upholds the Dharma.

I hope you find what you seek.
Need help getting on retreat? Want to support others in practice? Pay the Dana for Dharma forum a visit...

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby ylee111 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:26 pm

There are also very good books and websites in the resources thread.
ylee111

Postby LastLegend » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:02 pm

Study Chan Buddhist texts.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

Linjii
―Listen! Those of you who devote yourselves to the Dharma
must not be afraid of losing your bodies and your lives―
LastLegend

Postby seeker242 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:45 pm

Is there a zen center near where you live? If so, go there and check it out. :smile:

A lot of groups are listed here, although not all of them, especially the smaller groups.
http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/

A lot of the smaller groups can be found on http://www.meetup.com/

Of course it all depends on where you live.
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
seeker242

Postby bob » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:29 pm

KerryZenner wrote:I want to become a Zen Buddhist but I am not sure how to. Can anyone help me with this?

Hi Kerry,

First of all, it would help tremendously if you were clear about your motivations. In other words, what do you really want? This is something that most spiritual students don't take the time to do. They just jump into the teachings and start imitating and doing practices that they don't understand. They don't make the effort to discover what is in their own heart right from the very beginning, but instead rely on stuff they have heard or read, and build their practice on borrowed notions, which they then further complicate by regarding themselves as this or that, Zen Buddhist or Dzogchenpa or whatever. on the other hand, if you truly understand your deepest longing, then you will be well along on the path of wisdom already, regardless of the name or form you might attach to it.
bob

Postby duckfiasco » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:46 am

Start attending services at a local Zen center. They'll likely have a newcomers night as well. They can help you get started.
Namu Amida Butsu
duckfiasco

Postby greentara » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:13 am

All religions are a marketplace of ideas. Until enlightenment you can be persuaded and prevailed upon into many a belief system. It the inducement is gentle and favourable well and good. Then of course the other extreme you have the jihadists which teach the very opposite, so tread carefully.
The Buddha teaches the way out of suffering and if you meditate, read and follow the teachings earnestly they are very affective.
So how do you become a Buddhist? Why by practicing what the Buddha taught.
greentara

Postby shel » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:31 am

That's super easy. Just google "deepest desire and zen" and you'll see that * * A W A K E N I N G * * is our deepest desire. Just be sure to include "zen" in the search terms or you might end up with a different deepest desire. :tongue:
shel

Postby bob » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:12 am

shel wrote:That's super easy. Just google "deepest desire and zen" and you'll see that * * A W A K E N I N G * * is our deepest desire.

Yes, as I said, "stuff they have heard or read".
bob

Postby Lindama » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:46 am

bob wrote:

Hi Kerry,

First of all, it would help tremendously if you were clear about your motivations. In other words, what do you really want? This is something that most spiritual students don't take the time to do. They just jump into the teachings and start imitating and doing practices that they don't understand. They don't make the effort to discover what is in their own heart right from the very beginning, but instead rely on stuff they have heard or read, and build their practice on borrowed notions, which they then further complicate by regarding themselves as this or that, Zen Buddhist or Dzogchenpa or whatever. on the other hand, if you truly understand your deepest longing, then you will be well along on the path of wisdom already, regardless of the name or form you might attach to it.

I like to say it this way: "accept no substitutes". That means .... "understand your deepest longing" as bob suggests ... it's innate and natural. Nobody can tell you that... If you can catch that, you will save yourself a lifetime of following... and you can play with any outer form while remaining intimate with yourself.

If you can't see that.... look for what ideas you have about what you said... ideas that support expectation and comparison ... do they exist apart from a concept. Ask the body wisdom. If you don't know what that means, just sit down quietly and ask. Do not demand an answer. Just simply ask. If you don't know what that means, just stand at the bus stop not knowing when the bus will arrive... it's your choice about patience.
Lindama

Postby Lindama » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:26 am

Forget the market place... what do you deeply want?

why are you asking in two diff posts?
Lindama

Postby muni » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:43 am

Yes. No doubt all beings want to be out of suffering, all want to be truly happy, peaceful. May this be so.
If you feel connection or trust in Zen then great.

Then indeed as what is said here, we can look what is the basis of our wish. If we want for example to become someone other as we already think we are; a Zen Buddhist, a so or so practicioner…then this is just continuing the apprehended theatre we learned what we are but we change of cloths. Okay now I am Zen practicioner, I am Nichirin practicioner, I am…We have a name and play our roll in our own movie/life.
To understand what is suffering, is very helpful insight and can make the genuine wish to be free.

As long as we have a name and believe this is our identity, there will be suffering. This as far as I understand.

All the best.
There is only nature and all is nature. Any discrimination is ones’ own delusion.
muni

Postby KerryZenner » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:49 pm

I've been studying the wat of Buddha, his teachings, and have been meditating for months now. I want to join a temple and associate with them and people with the same views. I grew up Christian so I do not know any Buddhists.
KerryZenner

Postby KerryZenner » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:52 pm

seeker242 wrote:Is there a zen center near where you live? If so, go there and check it out. :smile:

A lot of groups are listed here, although not all of them, especially the smaller groups.
http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/

A lot of the smaller groups can be found on http://www.meetup.com/

Of course it all depends on where you live.

I live in Fond du Lac, WI. The nearest group is about an hour away from me but I don't mind the drive.
KerryZenner

Postby KerryZenner » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:05 pm

I feel as if I am lost in the world. My intentions are to find enlightenment and follow the path Gautama Buddha laid out to do so. I am looking to find that enlightenment and use it in my life to be a better person. Those are my intentions. Nothing more, nothing less.
KerryZenner

Postby LastLegend » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:58 pm

Friend, start with the teaching first understand it thoroughly before starting to practice.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

Linjii
―Listen! Those of you who devote yourselves to the Dharma
must not be afraid of losing your bodies and your lives―
LastLegend

Next

Return to Exploring Buddhism