Definitely karma. But good or bad?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Definitely karma. But good or bad?

Postby shaunc » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:21 am

Suppose a person (me) read something on a Buddhist Internet forum (not this one). It upset them & made them feel a bit angry & upset with the other poster, but chose not to respond because of 2 reasons. 1 that they'd only be adding fuel to the fire & 2. They weren't really sure whether they could debate this person in a civilised & helpful way without being rude & insulting to them. Do you feel this person would receive bad karma for the negative thoughts or good karma for showing some self restraint.
Your thoughts please.
shaunc

Re: Definitely karma. But good or bad?

Postby smcj » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:24 am

Good karma for self-restraint. That's what the Pratimoksha Vows are all about; not doing what is negative and overt. Later on the Mahayana addresses the issue of motivation and doing positive, but not doing negative actions is the first step.

Cease the negative.
Do the positive.
Tame the mind.
Last edited by smcj on Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN
smcj

Postby LastLegend » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:25 am

I thought there will always be karma until realization.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

Linjii
―Listen! Those of you who devote yourselves to the Dharma
must not be afraid of losing your bodies and your lives―
LastLegend

Postby Seishin » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:05 am

Karma is just karma. Good, bad and all the shades in between.

Gassho
Seishin
Seishin
Former staff member

Postby Ayu » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:12 am

shaunc wrote:Suppose a person (me) read something on a Buddhist Internet forum (not this one). It upset them & made them feel a bit angry & upset with the other poster, but chose not to respond because of 2 reasons. 1 that they'd only be adding fuel to the fire & 2. They weren't really sure whether they could debate this person in a civilised & helpful way without being rude & insulting to them. Do you feel this person would receive bad karma for the negative thoughts or good karma for showing some self restraint.
Your thoughts please.

Good karma.
Also, like my teacher never get's tired to mention, this "silent" person can be very grateful to have such a wonderful opportunity to train on his patience. "If there is noone to bother you, you can never train it. But you have to train it to become patient."
Everybody laughs, when he says this, but it is seriously spoken. :smile:

So, if we talk about karma, it is not the main point, as long as one doesn't loose his patience totally and indulges into very bad actions. To become angry is a normal thing one can work on. It's a training.
If a football player trains to become better, he is not upset about every single small fault. The focus is on becoming better step by step, not on being perfect already.
And he stops the training before the pain in the muscles becomes too heavy.
Metta, Karuna, Mudita, Upekha
*** om vajra krodha hayagrīva hulu hulu hūm phat**
Ayu
Global Moderator

Postby Kim O'Hara » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:57 am

shaunc wrote:Suppose a person (me) read something on a Buddhist Internet forum (not this one). It upset them & made them feel a bit angry & upset with the other poster, but chose not to respond because of 2 reasons. 1 that they'd only be adding fuel to the fire & 2. They weren't really sure whether they could debate this person in a civilised & helpful way without being rude & insulting to them. Do you feel this person would receive bad karma for the negative thoughts or good karma for showing some self restraint.
Your thoughts please.

Both, but more good than bad since the (good, intentional) restraint outweighs the (bad but unintentional) short-lived irritation.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim O'Hara
Global Moderator

Postby Sherab » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:48 pm

Your thoughts please.

Feeling angry and upset could be the ripening of seed left by previous bad karma. Reacting with restraint would be good karma creating virtuous seed that would ripen into a good experience in future. (My two cents multiply by the rate of inflation.)
Sherab

Postby Vajrasvapna » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:23 pm

Nagarjuna said that Karma is an illusion, this is the vision of enlightened beings. We unenlightened beings have a strong tendency to dualistic thought, so we need to maintain ethical conduct, but enlightened beings are able to bring benefits even in actions seen as negative.

To help us beings with extreme dualistic view, the Buddha taught the concept of warehouse consciousness: every action motivated by ignorance, attachment and anger will add a seed in your warehouse consciousness and every action motivated by compassion you purify past actions.

Your thoughts please.

Yes, he would be accumulating negative seeds and it would be better for him not to participate in intolerant debates .

Some source about karma:
http://www.acmuller.net/yogacara/articles/intro-uni.htm
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/good_evil_beyond.pdf
http://amzn.com/1590304195
http://www.amazon.com/The-Great-Secret-Mind-Instructions/dp/1559394013
"It cuts the root of the mind;
It cuts the root of the five poisonous emotions
And the extreme views, which become the causes for meditation;
As well as conduct accompanied by inadequacy, hope, fear,
And pride— because it cuts all of these,
It is defined as Chöd."
Aryadeva

"Firstly with the thought of “I”, they cling to self,
And then with “mine”, they grow attached to things,
Helplessly, they wander like a turning waterwheel."
Candrakīrti

"'A great yogi' simply means being free from attachment and clinging." Guru Padma
Vajrasvapna

Postby anjali » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:13 am

Your thoughts please.

Hi shuanc,

Others have given you some good feedback on this question. I'd like to offer a slightly different perspective, focusing not so much on the karma issue.

Regarding feeling upset and angry. Having those feelings just means that something is really important to you. That's ok. Sometimes they can be a spur to positive action, if we can understand why we are having those feelings and can work constructively with them. If you respond under the influence of anger, it's true you might say something you'll later regret or could add fuel to the fire. If you can let the emotions run their course without acting on them, you can still respond to what you read. After all, maybe what you have to say would be worthwhile. Of course that is something you will have to decide.

Actually responding. If you think you have something that would be useful to contribute, and can do so without being driven by negative feelings, here are a couple of suggestions.

First, go ahead and type up a response, but wait 24hrs before sending it. That gives you a chance to reevaluate what you've written after giving some time to reflect on what you've written. If we choose, we can pause as long as we want before responding. It's so tempting to hit the submit button after writing up a response in the heat of the moment. Personally, I've found this to be a good practice for anything that has a strong emotional reaction on my part. That's the great thing about email and forums. It's not real-time interaction.

Second, respond only to the substance of what you read. Stay focused on the content. If the other person was/is rude/abusive in their responses, it's actually pretty easy to just ignore them in our responses. However, if what bothers you is the person's online behavior, that's a very tricky issue to address. You have to decide 1) whether the person would be receptive at all to any mention of their negative behavior, and 2) whether you can respond in a skillful way that would benefit the person you are responding to. Neither of which are easy calls to make.

Just because you are upset and are uncertain of your ability to be civil now, don't let that preclude the possibility of eventually responding. Best wishes on what ever direction you choose to take.
All things are unworthy of clinging to (sabbe dhammā nâla abhinivesāyā). --Buddha
If there is clinging, you do not have the view. --Drakpa Gyaltsen
anjali

Return to Exploring Buddhism