Buddhist Name

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Buddhist Name

Postby CalJames009 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:55 am

Hello

I am new to the forums, but I have been interested in Buddhism for quite some time. I have had a turning point in my life, I won't go into details but I feel it's time to make a drastic change. I am unhappy and wish to change by turning to and practicing Buddhism.

I feel it would be appropriate if I were to have a Buddhist name, but I can't just give myself one, and I am in a place where there is no access to Buddhism groups or anything such as that.

I was wondering if there was anyone I could get in touch with that would be able to give me my own Buddhist name? I know it is not normally how it's done, but I feel it would be refreshing to have a Buddhist name to get me started on my new path.

Thank you for your help and consideration.
CalJames009

Re: Buddhist Name

Postby duckfiasco » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:26 am

Start right now where you are :)
Don't wait for a new name.
I always post this link, but this is what got me started and I still benefit from the simple practice it describes today.
http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html

That said, I think you usually receive a Dharma name when you formally take refuge for the first time.
That's not something you normally do right off the bat.

Good luck and welcome to Dharma Wheel! :cheers:
Namu Amida Butsu
"When people of the Pure Land school chant Namu amida butsu, they are doing zazen with their mouths, and when we do zazen, we are performing Namu amida butsu with our whole body." - Kosho Uchiyama (Opening the Hand of Thought)
duckfiasco

Postby yan kong » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:20 am

Forget the name. Masters go through several in their lifetime. Start practicing the five precepts before you take refuge.
"Meditation is a spiritual exercise, not a therapeutic regime... Our intention is to enter Nirvana, not to make life in Samsara more tolerable." Chan Master Hsu Yun
yan kong

Postby Punya » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:40 pm

Hello and welcome. :hi:

Waiting to take refuge and practicing the 5 precepts first is good advice. You could also commit to daily meditation practice. And don't worry - most of us fail to keep this in the beginning.
Unless the inner forces of negative emotions are conquered
Strife with outer enemies will never end.
~Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Punya

Return to Exploring Buddhism