Buddhist Name

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Buddhist Name

Postby CalJames009 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:55 am

Hello

I am new to the forums, but I have been interested in Buddhism for quite some time. I have had a turning point in my life, I won't go into details but I feel it's time to make a drastic change. I am unhappy and wish to change by turning to and practicing Buddhism.

I feel it would be appropriate if I were to have a Buddhist name, but I can't just give myself one, and I am in a place where there is no access to Buddhism groups or anything such as that.

I was wondering if there was anyone I could get in touch with that would be able to give me my own Buddhist name? I know it is not normally how it's done, but I feel it would be refreshing to have a Buddhist name to get me started on my new path.

Thank you for your help and consideration.
CalJames009

Re: Buddhist Name

Postby duckfiasco » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:26 am

Start right now where you are :)
Don't wait for a new name.
I always post this link, but this is what got me started and I still benefit from the simple practice it describes today.
http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html

That said, I think you usually receive a Dharma name when you formally take refuge for the first time.
That's not something you normally do right off the bat.

Good luck and welcome to Dharma Wheel! :cheers:
Namu Amida Butsu
The Perfect Way knows no difficulties
Except that it refuses to make preferences;
Only when freed from hate and love,
It reveals itself fully and without disguise.
- Sengcan (tr. Suzuki)
duckfiasco

Postby yan kong » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:20 am

Forget the name. Masters go through several in their lifetime. Start practicing the five precepts before you take refuge.
"Meditation is a spiritual exercise, not a therapeutic regime... Our intention is to enter Nirvana, not to make life in Samsara more tolerable." Chan Master Hsu Yun
yan kong

Postby Punya » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:40 pm

Hello and welcome. :hi:

Waiting to take refuge and practicing the 5 precepts first is good advice. You could also commit to daily meditation practice. And don't worry - most of us fail to keep this in the beginning.
Unless the inner forces of negative emotions are conquered
Strife with outer enemies will never end.
~Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Punya

Return to Exploring Buddhism