The state of Anagami - Enlightenment

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

The state of Anagami - Enlightenment

Postby villkorkarma » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:30 pm

Hey everyone
How does one know that laymen´s are coming to heaven after Death and reach the enlightenment in a paradise (that paradise) and then becomes enlightened?
Anagami - non-returner
villkorkarma

Re: The state of Anagami - Enlightenment

Postby kirtu » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:58 pm

Aside from Buddhas and the anagami themselves you don't. Ordinary beings can't judge other beings level of spiritual attainment.

However even most Stream Enters will appear to be like fully enlightened beings to almost off ordinary beings (some Stream Enters will not appear this way and some people are so deluded that a perfect Stream Enter or higher will appear to be an evil person to them).

However these attainments are on the Sravka path so one hint for an anagami would be a person who appears to be totally perfect, totally loving and kind, completely without error morally in any way but is primarily focused on self-liberation.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby White Lotus » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:48 pm

in the teachings we are promised certain future things, but do we know any of these things for certain until we actually experience them. we can only be certain of what we have now. on the gradual path seeing the sameness of all things comes first (Samata), then emptiness is seen. in Theravada this is not recognised as emptiness. it is called Dhamma. seeing the dhamma within as being the same as the dhamma without. in other words what you see within you as being the same as what is without you. seeing these things you can be sure that you have entered the stream. its also said that release from the four kinds of fear, craving and blemish are marks of buddhahood. having broken the knives of existence.

the engine and driver of enlightenment is renunciation. becoming spiritually poor in order to be rich. the first thing you renounce is 'i' and 'my' and the lower 'me'. in renouncing these things you renounce the basic ego. there are levels of ego or self to renounce which include even buddha nature being renounced and the higher experince of 'i am' and the higher experience of 'me'. there are lower experiences of selfhood and higher experiences of higher selfhood. there is however inspite of these experiences of selfhood: no self at all. emptiness tells us this and then later on anatta is self evident.

simply by the fact you have asked these question is a clear evidence that you are doing very well, though your life may be difficult and others may think you unworthy.

i hope this is helpful.

best wishes, Tom. :smile:
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
White Lotus

Postby villkorkarma » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:57 pm

Yes Iam doing well. Where does the rainbowbody come in the Picture here? Is that the same thing as beeing an arahant/fully enlightened beeing?
A good meditator isnt evil so youre right. Who could you know that people around me havent se mee right? who are you? :thanks: But its better now :smile:
villkorkarma

Return to Exploring Buddhism