Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:27 pm 

I was wondering if anyone has read the book stated in the title? I was away on holiday in Thailand when I stumbled across this book. I have been interested in Buddhism for sometime now and couldn't resist picking it up.

Inside it has been translated into English and has the original Japanese translation on the opposite page. There seems to be no author, only a reference to the Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai (Society for the Promotion of Buddhism) Whilst writing this thread I have actually noticed that there is a website with the book on (www.bdk-jp.org)

Is there anyone that could give me a little bit more information on this book as I want to make sure it's resourceful and correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:15 am 

You might find The Essence of Buddhism by Traleg Ripoche a bit more accessible, as it is geared more towards a Western audience. I tried reading the book you mentioned and found it very tough going.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:16 pm 

Michael91 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has read the book stated in the title? I was away on holiday in Thailand when I stumbled across this book. I have been interested in Buddhism for sometime now and couldn't resist picking it up.

Inside it has been translated into English and has the original Japanese translation on the opposite page. There seems to be no author, only a reference to the Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai (Society for the Promotion of Buddhism) Whilst writing this thread I have actually noticed that there is a website with the book on (http://www.bdk-jp.org)

Is there anyone that could give me a little bit more information on this book as I want to make sure it's resourceful and correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

It is adequate, as a survey of Buddhism. The translations are correct, even if sometimes paraphrased condensations giving only the gist.