Conversational Acclamations

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Conversational Acclamations

Postby Sko » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:35 am

Hi! I have yet another question, probably more personal than my other ones.

Aside from private, in your own home Buddha/Bodhisattva thanks, how do you thank them throughout the day? Do you vocally give thanks or acclaim a Buddha or Bodhisattva when talking to someone or going about your business?
Sko

Re: Conversational Acclamations

Postby Seishin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:21 pm

I don't usually "give thanks" throughout the day. We have the morning and evening services when we pay homage to the various buddhas, bodhisattvas and teachers. I also say mantras during the day and evening. But I think "giving thanks" is more of a judeo-christian practice rather than a buddhist one. Although there are some Pureland sects that say "namo amida bu" throughout the day as a mark of respect, recognition or way of giving thanks.

Gassho,
Seishin
Seishin
Former staff member

Re: Conversational Acclamations

Postby White Lotus » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:22 pm

its good to be grateful, one can learn from other beings by their blessing. it would be more beneficial however to give thanks to the reality that you are and that is within you. the bodhisattvas will be happier if you appreciate yourself and your sense of Me-ness. you can learn from master worm or mistress sheep. i bow before a buddha.

best wishes, Tom.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
White Lotus

Return to Exploring Buddhism