Does software pirating break the second precept?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Re: Does software pirating break the second precept?

Postby gad rgyangs » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:30 am

here's a good example of going with the flow and taking advantage of it, instead of bashing your head against the wall:

http://torrentfreak.com/iron-maiden-tracks-down-pirates-and-gives-them-concerts-131224/
Thoroughly tame your own mind.
This is (possibly) the teaching of Buddha.
gad rgyangs

Postby theanarchist » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:33 pm

Malcolm wrote:Buddhist ethics also recognize that one must obey the laws of whatever society one belongs to.

So stoning a person for infidelity or the persecution of homosexuals are okay as long as it's the country's law? :rolleye:
theanarchist

Postby theanarchist » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:37 pm

My personal question in such cases is, would I have bought the item if it hadn't been available to copy from an illegal source.

If the answer is yes, then I actually do harm to the right's owner. If I wouldn't have bought the DVD, book or music, there is no financial harm for the right's owner, so it's not unethical.
theanarchist

Postby gad rgyangs » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:19 pm

"This song is Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of Copyright #154085, for a period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin' it without our permission, will be mighty good friends of ourn, cause we don't give a dern. Publish it. Write it. Sing it. Swing to it. Yodel it. We wrote it, that's all we wanted to do."

Written by Woody Guthrie in the late 1930s on a songbook distributed to listeners of his L.A. radio show "Woody and Lefty Lou" who wanted the words to his recordings.
Thoroughly tame your own mind.
This is (possibly) the teaching of Buddha.
gad rgyangs

Postby Demetrius » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:01 pm

Sure, stealing is bad, sure it... TECHNICALLY goes against the law.

That's why I think there's still... ways of doing things. For instance; getting a cracked version of a software created by a multi-national isn't as grave as copying music instead of buying from a starting musician which depends on it as a source of revenue to feed himself and/or his family.

So yes, many of you might see it as a complete black and white scenario, but I believe there's ways of dealing with this situation with some basic common sense instead of going straight for the extremes.
Demetrius

Postby duckfiasco » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:16 am

Justifying cravings is as old as samsara itself.
If you feel the need to do so, likely you have some resistance to a perceived misdeed and are trying to talk yourself into it.
That alone doesn't seem beneficial to me, no matter how far down the line you theoretically are from the initial act.
Namu Amida Butsu
The Perfect Way knows no difficulties
Except that it refuses to make preferences;
Only when freed from hate and love,
It reveals itself fully and without disguise.
- Sengcan (tr. Suzuki)
duckfiasco

Previous

Return to Exploring Buddhism