Refuge khata

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Refuge khata

Postby duckfiasco » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:06 am

I took formal refuge yesterday in a Tibetan ceremony.
I thought by offering a khata, I'd give it to the lama and he'd keep it, like the other small items I offered.
I was surprised to see him instead drape it around the neck of each refugee.
I also used it for a Chenrezig empowerment immediately after refuge.

So what do I do with it now? :rolleye:
It's currently rolled up on a high shelf.

Namu Amida Butsu
"When people of the Pure Land school chant Namu amida butsu, they are doing zazen with their mouths, and when we do zazen, we are performing Namu amida butsu with our whole body." - Kosho Uchiyama (Opening the Hand of Thought)
duckfiasco

Re: Refuge khata

Postby reddust » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:16 am

duckfiasco wrote:I took formal refuge yesterday in a Tibetan ceremony.
I thought by offering a khata, I'd give it to the lama and he'd keep it, like the other small items I offered.
I was surprised to see him instead drape it around the neck of each refugee.
I also used it for a Chenrezig empowerment immediately after refuge.

So what do I do with it now? :rolleye:
It's currently rolled up on a high shelf.

Congratulations :heart:

I have khatas that have been through many empowerments and retreats. I always bring an extra 1-2 if someone needs one. I keep mine draped on my Buddhist study desk that holds all my books and tools. I think it is up to you to figure out what you want to do with it. The silk scarf looks pretty draped on thangkas too :anjali:
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
reddust

Postby Karma Jinpa » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:55 pm

The khata is a ceremonial scarf (sometimes referred to as the "scarf of salutation"). Most of the time when you offer one face-to-face to a lama, they'll return it and drape it across your neck.

In large gatherings, however, you will often see native Tibetans (both in exile and in Tibet) throw their khatas to the front of the crowd in an effort to get them to the high lama who's presiding. In this case one has no idea whose is whose by the time all is said and done, so no one really bothers to collect theirs again because the point is to give it without hope of reciprocation (the teaching/empowerment is far more precious than the scarf anyway). In these cases the lama's attendant(s) usually gather them up.

As for what to do with a khata that's given back to you, remember that it symbolizes your offering of pure intention (hence the usual white color). It's pretty typical (in Nepal at least) to see a khata draped over the top of a thangka, as reddust mentioned.

The other option which is common is to drape it over the front of your shrine or puja table in a similar fashion to how you see them on the throne table when a lama is teachings. This is a sign of respect and appreciation for whatever lay on the other side of the scarf, and can even be seen (in my humble opinion) as an additional offering which goes along with the typical 7 or 8 offering bowls. One's pure intention when offering to the Buddhas & Bodhisattvas is implied anyway...
"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, it happens that a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་རཱ་ག་ཨ་སྱ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།

:namaste:
Karma Jinpa

Postby flamingskull » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:08 am

When you offer a khata to a lama or Rinpoche and they in turn give it back to you by draping it over your neck they are giving you a blessing.
These , especially one from a refuge ceremony should be kept high on your shrine or even perhaps draped around a picture of the one who gave it to you.
My understanding is that you should always keep your refuge Khata , never using it for anything else..it depends I guess on the lineage etc
flamingskull

Postby ClearblueSky » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:47 am

Seconding what karma Jinpa said, put it on your shrine, a thangka, or a statue.
ClearblueSky

Postby reddust » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:10 pm

This is where I hang some of my Khatas, I dust once a week. Each one holds memories of special events and empowerments.
Library1.jpg
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
reddust

Return to Exploring Buddhism