Isaiah Buddha???

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Isaiah Buddha???

Postby Snovid » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:33 pm

Someone told me that Shakyamuni was inspired by Isaiah.

"Buddhism is closer to man the West stems from the influence the prophet Isaiah on the Buddha. The Buddha was the son of the Persian king Darius vassal

the same which under the influence of events related to the prophet Daniel

commanded to preach the faith of Israel throughout his kingdom.

Under the influence of science Isaiah Buddha - orthodox Hindu - a breakdown of personality
and looks with your mind's own way by adopting the ethics of the prophet Isaiah.

As far as in the Buddha's ethics is a similar to the ethics of Isaiah (ie very close to its universal character)
in so far Buddha rejecting faith in the gods and not being able to take faith in the one God simply ignores the topic

referring to the law of the heart indicated by Isaiah
hence closer to my Buddhist than the Hindu"
I am from Poland I use google translator I do not know English
Snovid

Re: Isaiah Buddha???

Postby tatpurusa » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:39 pm

Neither Hinduism nor Buddhism originate from the Jewish culture.
They have nothing to do with Isaiah and other biblic prophets.
Nor with the "jelous god of Israel".
tatpurusa

Postby Kim O'Hara » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:02 pm

tatpurusa wrote:Neither Hinduism nor Buddhism originate from the Jewish culture.
They have nothing to do with Isaiah and other biblic prophets.
Nor with the "jelous god of Israel".

:good:
The ethical teachings of most religions are similar, mostly because they developed out of the same need for people to get along together.
That doesn't mean that they have a shared history.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim O'Hara

Postby Alfredo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:41 am

With all respect to the Prophet Isaiah, I see no reason to think that he had any influence on Sakyamuni Buddha. The idea seems not to be a scholarly conclusion drawn from historical and textual evidence, but a crank theory--a rather fanciful association based on certain perceived similarities (while ignoring key differences, such as the nature and existence of God or gods), and dependent on some dubious historical assertions.

While everyone is entitled to an opinion, not everyone's opinion is worth anything. For example, my opinion about Isaiah etc. is of little consequence, since I am not a scholar of such things. Anyone who wants to know about Isaiah, would do well to rely on such scholars rather than me, or your informant. Do any reputable scholars (of any relevant discipline, whether biblical or South Asian) accept the theory described above as worthy of consideration? From my meager layman's knowledge, I suspect not.
(no longer participating on this board)
Alfredo

Postby Lindama » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:57 am

Snow,
As the zen saying goes, "don't be fooled by others"

I'm not a scholar, but it seems apparent from what i read in Wiki (wikipedia.org) Isaiah lived about 400 years before Guatama Buddha. Shakyamuni Buddha bears no resemblance to the way Isaiah is described by this:

The book of Isaiah, along with the book of Jeremiah, is distinctive in the Hebrew bible for its direct portrayal of the "wrath of the Lord" as presented, for example, in Isaiah 10:19 stating, "Through the wrath of the Lord of hosts is the land darkened, and the people shall be as the fuel of the fire.

Yet, I have to wonder about this, written long after Isaiah died, around the time of Guatama:

Gregory of Nyssa (c. 335–395), believed that the Prophet Esaias (Isaiah) "knew more perfectly than all others the mystery of the religion of the Gospel". Jerome (c. 342–420) also lauds the Prophet Esias, saying, "He was more of an Evangelist than a Prophet, because he described all of the Mysteries of the Church of Christ so vividly that you would assume he was not prophesying about the future, but rather was composing a history of past events."[

yet I have to wonder.... "because he described all the mysteries of the church" and how they functioned without the internet! Did no Buddha describe all the mysteries?

dunno! what lies under centuries of translation and interpretation?
Lindama

Postby Kim O'Hara » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:14 am

Lindama wrote: what lies under centuries of translation and interpretation?

... and wishful thinking.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim O'Hara

Postby Anders » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:30 am

Lindama wrote:dunno! what lies under centuries of translation and interpretation?

Usually something fairly mundane without special connections.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Anders

Postby Alfredo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:52 am

PS. One of the few things I do know about the Book of Isaiah is that according to scholarly consensus, it was written by more than one person. The theory mentioned above probably has in mind Deutero-Isaiah.
Alfredo

Postby Nosta » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:51 pm

Buddha inspired on Isaiah? Never! The biblical religions are so violent, agressive and empty that they could never inspire such a person as Siddhartha Gautama. There are no conections between the bible concepts and the budhist concepts. Only some moral precepts and a few things.
Nosta

Postby Alfredo » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:32 am

Nosta is overlooking violent imagery--not to mention acts--in Buddhism (e.g. the myth told in the Kalachakratantra), as well as peace-loving themes in the Abrahamic religions.

It occurs to me that there IS an indirect connection between Isaiah and Buddhism, via ancient Persian religion, including Zoroastrianism. That Zoroastrianism deeply influenced post-Exilic Judaism is, I believe, a mainstream view. Before the Exile, Israelite / Judahite religion would have borne a closer resemblance to other ANE temple-cults in the region. Afterwards, it became something much more idealistic and universal, with less of a folk dimension (and conflicts emerged between returning exiles and those who never left, whose religious practices must have continued an older stratum). The Book of Isaiah reflects this transition, and later on, Christianity, Manichaeism and Islam took on a cosmic, imperial aspect. Meanwhile, fragments of this Persian-centered ethos entered Buddhism in the form of (for example) the cult of Amitabha, or the body/speech/mind triad, or the seven-day week. So perhaps it would be best to say that Isaiah and Buddhism were influenced (to some extent) by a common source.
Alfredo

Return to Exploring Buddhism