Law of attraction?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Law of attraction?

Postby tigerh98 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:27 pm

Does the law of attraction co/go together with buddhism?does buddhism talk about.the law of attraction?HERES A VID EXPLAINING THE LAW OF ATTRACTION http://m.youtube.com/watch?p=WL&feature=plpp&v=r3z0Qez0rE8
tigerh98

Re: Law of attraction?

Postby Jikan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:34 pm

I don't think anyone takes that stuff seriously.
Need help getting on retreat? Want to support others in practice? Pay the Dana for Dharma forum a visit...

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Jikan » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:35 am

With this reminder from our Terms of Service...

Proselyting/evangelizing other paths which includes for example arguing some other path is superior to the Buddhist path is not allowed.

...this thread is open.
Need help getting on retreat? Want to support others in practice? Pay the Dana for Dharma forum a visit...

Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Jikan » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:37 am

Byrne offers no scientific evidence for the absurd physics behind the law of attraction. But that doesn’t mean her books don’t take advantage of up-to-the-minute science. The problem is, it’s not the science she thinks it is.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/26/books ... .html?_r=0

Jikan
Site Admin

Postby tigerh98 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:48 am

Ok so as a buddhist i should say the law of attraction is not usefull in buddhism?
tigerh98

Postby flowerbudh » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:09 am

Karma is the closest you're gonna get, tbh, so just stick with that.
Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without. - The Buddha
flowerbudh

Postby Jikan » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:37 am

tigerh98 wrote:Ok so as a buddhist i should say the law of attraction is not usefull in buddhism?

As someone with the faculty of critical thinking, you would recognize "the law of attraction" for what it is: a gimmick to get people to buy stuff they don't need on the hope they'll get what they think they're supposed to want.

Jikan
Site Admin

Postby tigerh98 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:44 am

Ok thx now i dont believe in the law of attraction
tigerh98

Postby TheSpirit » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:04 am

I would say depends on how you view law of attraction. If you are wishing for something extreme, most likely it isn't going to happened. That is not to say that there is actually no benefits to it. Like I've said law of attraction involves positive affirmation. Practicing positive affirmations can actually makes it seems like good positive thoughts attract good things. What really happening is positive affirmation reprogram how you perceive your surrounding, how you perceive yourself and it shifts your focus from negative to expecting good positive things thus you are focusing on the positive in life and become more motivated. Many therapists I know use this technique with their patients. It is similar to hypnotherapy.

I don't know how Buddhist sees law of attraction. But practicing Shinto, I can see the benefits of positive affirmation and how it can affect positively on our relationship with out surroundings and others. Buddhist can see it as maybe an act to reduce sufferings and free oneself from negative mind set. However taking it to extreme can be bad because wishing for the impossible is expecting disappointment
“To be fully alive is to have an aesthetic perception of life because a major part of the world's goodness lies in its often unspeakable beauty.”
― Yukitaka Yamamoto
TheSpirit

Postby Lindama » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:40 am

tigerh98 wrote:Ok thx now i dont believe in the law of attraction

Good, Buddhism is not about belief.
Lindama

Postby TheSpirit » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:01 pm

Lindama wrote:
tigerh98 wrote:Ok thx now i dont believe in the law of attraction

Good, Buddhism is not about belief.

I think Buddhism required just as much belief. Karma, rebirth is a belief. Those practicing Shin Buddhism have faith in Amida. Very much a belief. Just some of the example.
“To be fully alive is to have an aesthetic perception of life because a major part of the world's goodness lies in its often unspeakable beauty.”
― Yukitaka Yamamoto
TheSpirit

Postby KonchokZoepa » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:38 pm

i can tell you from experience that law of attraction isnt reality. you may sometimes feel like you can attract or have attracted this, but when you experience life there comes both positive and negative things that you haven't attracted with law of attraction. if law of attraction was completely true if we would attract more and more life we would never die by applying the logic that it the law of attraction applies to itself. it is false and fictitious.
its a nice fantasy but doesnt work. and those with negative thoughts can go crazy if they believe in it.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa

Postby undefineable » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:19 pm

KonchokZoepa wrote:those with negative thoughts can go crazy if they believe in it.
Well yeah - As far as I understand from what I've read, negative thoughts like fear are supposed to attract their own (negative) objects in this scenario, so I really don't understand how anyone can benefit from the belief - It's like the thought experiment of asking your mind not to think of a pink elephant :rolleye: On the other hand, anticipating a reaction of mild boredom -rather than of overt suffering- to one's prospective "failure" failure seems to free up a lot of energy that would otherwise have been diverted into crippling anxiety, so I guess it depends on how you 'spin' it.

As far as 'success' goes, the old saw "I want doesn't get" seems to sum up the commonsense comeback to 'the law of attraction'. It's hard to see how there can be any substitute for a clear plan of action, and equally hard to see how one can fail to benefit (unless failure is seen as more or less certain) from simply allowing mind and body to "follow through".
"Removing the barrier between this and that is the only solution" {Chogyam Trungpa - "The Lion's Roar"}
undefineable

Postby TheSpirit » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:44 pm

I believe that is why they don't focus on the negative but on the positive to attract it..........They don't try to avoid negative thoughts but they just refocus it on the positive thoughts.
― Yukitaka Yamamoto
TheSpirit

Postby undefineable » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:47 pm

TheSpirit wrote:I believe that is why they don't focus on the negative but on the positive to attract it..........They don't try to avoid negative thoughts but they just refocus it on the positive thoughts.
Well if some people find this helpful, then all the better :smile:
"Removing the barrier between this and that is the only solution" {Chogyam Trungpa - "The Lion's Roar"}
undefineable

Postby TheSpirit » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:52 pm

undefineable wrote:
TheSpirit wrote:I believe that is why they don't focus on the negative but on the positive to attract it..........They don't try to avoid negative thoughts but they just refocus it on the positive thoughts.
Well if some people find this helpful, then all the better :smile:

I believe it can be useful if use moderately just to program the mind to be more positive and focus on the good things. I also see the damage if someone truly believe that they can attract things (that need to be worked on through effort) by just simply thinking of it.
― Yukitaka Yamamoto
TheSpirit

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:15 pm

It is good in the sense of having a positive outlook, being optimistic.

All mental phenomena have mind as their forerunner; they have mind as their chief; they are mind-made. If one speaks or acts with a pure mind, happiness (sukha) follows him like a shadow that never leaves him.
Dhammpada 2

The Buddha taught Right Thought; but he also taught Right Action. The law of attraction fails miserably by not mentioning Right Action. You cannot get a limo and a limo driver just by "wishing for it" as their videos state. It is all just a marketing gimmick with the only ones getting rich being the authors and makers of the video / books.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Nemo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:39 pm

The Law of Attraction is new take on an old racing form scam. You would take a Daily Racing Form mailing list and split it in half. Everyone getting a letter that you have a surefire system of picking winners. Half you get a letter saying Really Fast Horse will win the race. The other half that Bolt will win.

Bolt wins. You throw out all the names you sent Really Fast Horse. The Bolt letter receivers are then split in half and two new favourites are chosen. This continues till just a few dozen are left. You then say you are so rich you want to get out and sell them the system for as little as 20,000$. They buy it and you mail them the original mailing list.

This system is even better as the marks select themselves from the extremely uncritical New Age cohort. Most it doesn't work for and they drift away. Random chance always gets you a few recruits every time though. The perfect scam that finds the most gullible cohort and sells them an an invisible product.Then blames them if it doesn't work.
Nemo

Postby Jikan » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:05 pm

Nemo wrote:This system is even better as the marks select themselves from the extremely uncritical New Age cohort. Most it doesn't work for and they drift away. Random chance always gets you a few recruits every time though. The perfect scam that finds the most gullible cohort and sells them an an invisible product.Then blames them if it doesn't work.

:good:

Jikan
Site Admin

Postby tigerh98 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:36 pm

Ok thx guys i learned the law of attraction is false its a scam i dont believe the law of attraction thx8) for correcting me
tigerh98

Next

Return to Exploring Buddhism