Do bodhisattvas become enlightened while living?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Do bodhisattvas become enlightened while living?

Postby flowerbudh » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:34 am

Or must they wait for all other beings to gain enlightenment before they do?
Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without. - The Buddha
flowerbudh

Re: Do bodhisattvas become enlightened while living?

Postby smcj » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:05 am

They become enlightened while they are still here.

There's a absolute quality to enlightenment, in that once it is attained it is,
1. retroactive, in that you can see that it was there for you all the time, and
2. ubiquitous, in that you can see that all beings have the enlightened essence already, just that it is covered temporarily. So a bodhisattva sees all beings as already enlightened.

The way I've written it here it's a cop-out I know, but there is profundity to it that isn't represented by my post. But that's just my opinion, not backed by scripture.
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN
smcj

Postby lobster » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:24 am

flowerbudh wrote:Or must they wait for all other beings to gain enlightenment before they do?

Enlightenment while you wait? Whose? Some Mahayanists find there is little for the enlightened to do but enable further enlightenment . . . in 'others'. :shrug:

:popcorn:
lobster

Postby Simon E. » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:40 am

lobster wrote:
flowerbudh wrote:Or must they wait for all other beings to gain enlightenment before they do?

Enlightenment while you wait? Whose? Some Mahayanists find there is little for the enlightened to do but enable further enlightenment . . . in 'others'. :shrug:

:popcorn:

Where'd ya read that then ? Was it it while you were a dervish or after you became an Arhat ?
Simon E.

Postby ClearblueSky » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:27 am

A Bodhisattva can become enlightened whenever, just as any of us can reach enlightenment in this very life. It is just that they vow to continue benefiting beings until all are enlightened. On the Bodhisattva path described with the 10 Bhumis, the 8th Bhumi is considered reaching an irreversible level of enlightenment, same as an Arhat.
ClearblueSky

Return to Exploring Buddhism