whats a buddhist collage?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Re: What's a buddhist college?

Postby Huifeng » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:54 am

Alfredo wrote:... And finish high school.

Hmmm, looks like this finishing high school thing may be kind of important, huh? :twothumbsup:

~~ Huifeng
(Buddhist monk who endorses finishing high school)
Huifeng

Re: whats a buddhist collage?

Postby Odsal » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:50 am

tigerh98 wrote:Is it a place you live that teaches you things about buddhism?How can i join a buddhist collage?Are there buddhist collages in USA Florida where?

Tiger,
Yes a Buddhist college is a place where you learn about Buddhism and how to use Buddhism in your life. There are no Buddhist colleges in Florida. The way you join a Buddhist college is the same as how you join a regular college. A Buddhist college and a regular college are pretty much the same, except that a Buddhist college teaches you more Buddhism. The way you join a Buddhist college is to get your high school diploma. They wont let you join if you don't have one. Once you have a high school diploma then you apply to a Buddhist college, you show them your high school diploma and grade point average. Then they decide if they want to let you join or not. If they decide to let you join then you have to pay money. It takes 4 years to complete the Buddhist college. So it costs tens of thousands of dollars. So either your mom and dad will pay for it or you will have to apply for Financial Aid and the government will pay for some of it.

PS You should also know that you do not become a Buddhist monk by going to a Buddhist college. A Buddhist college is pretty much for Buddhists who live in the regular world where people work and have jobs, buy houses, rent apartments etc.

To become a Buddhist monk you need to go to a Buddhist monastery. Ask the people on here where the Buddhist monasteries are.
Because you are 15 you will need permission from your parents to become a monk. If they don't give you permission then you will have to wait until you are 18.

You have to be prepared for the possibility of having to wait until you are 18 to become a monk or go to a Buddhist college because that is mostly likely what will happen and if you decide to go to Buddhist college then you will have to start taking school seriously.
Odsal

Postby tigerh98 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:02 am

http://maitripa.org/ https://www.fivecolleges.edu/buddhism http://www.smith.edu/index.php can i join these collages without finnishing high school?Whats better style of learning buddhism a dharma center or buddhist collage?
tigerh98

Postby tigerh98 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:05 am

I know to become a buddhist monk i need to go to a buddhist monastery/temple.I know like 17 buddhist temples in my country.
tigerh98

Postby Huifeng » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:22 am

Odsal wrote:
You should also know that you do not become a Buddhist monk by going to a Buddhist college. A Buddhist college is pretty much for Buddhists who live in the regular world where people work and have jobs, buy houses, rent apartments etc.

While the general idea of a "buddhist college" could definitely mean that, actually, the first context in which we brought up the issue of "Buddhist colleges" was in China and Taiwan, where in fact they are for people doing full time study of Buddhism, ie. a buddhist seminary. Students studying there don't have other jobs, buy houses or the like. And in China / Taiwan, one basically has to go to such a college in order to become a monastic. We're into about day 3 or 4 of this broader conversation at this point. :)

~~ Huifeng
Huifeng

Postby flowerbudh » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:05 pm

The 5 colleges are secular, meaning they hold no religious affiliation. You have to be a high school graduate to attend any four-year college. And, yeah, Soka seems strange... lol. Don't go there.
Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without. - The Buddha
flowerbudh

Postby tigerh98 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:22 am

I have to graduate to join a buddhist collage?If so what evidence do you have to support this?
tigerh98

Postby Huifeng » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:26 am

tigerh98 wrote:I have to graduate to join a buddhist collage?If so what evidence do you have to support this?

In Taiwan, at least, you do. My evidence? The fact that I've taught at, and still occasionally do teach at, a number of Buddhist colleges for the last 10 years. So, I'm clued up on what the deal is. I could cite you material, but most of it would be in Chinese...

Okay, here's one example:
http://www.wretch.cc/blog/tsunglinblog/11890469
See where it says "高中畢業以上" <-- that's the evidence.

~~ Huifeng
Huifeng

Postby tigerh98 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:56 pm

Ok what about in USA do i have to graduate to join a buddhist collage?
tigerh98

Previous

Return to Exploring Buddhism