My parents against my beliefs

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Re: My parents against my beliefs

Postby tigerh98 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:09 am

I dont want to riencarnate again im going escape samsara and reach nirvana thats why im going become a buddhist monk im going put all my life/sacrifice my life to reach nirvana and becouse im also a scientist buddhism is a scientific religion science is the killer of religion but not of the religion buddhism
tigerh98

Postby tigerh98 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:19 am

Im going sacrifice my life to reaching/achieveing nirvana/sacrifice my life to become a gr8 monk like a souldier does to save his country at war 8) ps.this is wateryang
tigerh98

Postby Alfredo » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:30 am

Oh, the science thing. Yes, science poses many challenges to religion--including Buddhism. For example, some Tibetan Buddhists continued to believe that the earth is flat, even as late as the 1960's. On the other hand, many eminant scientists have been religious. Not so many Buddhists, I'm afraid, but quite a few Christians and Jews. For example, Gregory Mendel was a Catholic monk. So I hope you can appreciate the good side of your parents' religion (some type of Christianity, I assume), even if you disagree with it.

Your parents and teachers have a difficult job, and a great responsibility. If you can bring yourself to honor them, and listen carefully to their advice, this would be a very Buddhist thing to do. I realize that this is not easy, but the benefits are very great. If you want to sacrifice your life, start today by sacrificing your selfish impulses.
(no longer participating on this board)
Alfredo

Postby tigerh98 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:47 am

Buddhism is a scientific religion science best friend buddhism just an example just like this example mans best friend dogs
tigerh98

Postby plwk » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:21 am

wateryang & tigerh98: are you the same person double-nicking on this forum?
Are you aware of the rule on that?
viewtopic.php?f=109&t=12768
Dharma Wheel operates a strict "One Account Per Person" system. Any problems with accounts for example forgetting a password can be sorted out by contacting the owner or other member of staff. Creating an account with a different user ID after receiving a ban will result in an automatic permanent ban. Posts from duplicate accounts will be merged into one account. Additionally the creation of an account commonly known as a "sock puppet" account will result in an automatic permanent ban. Any account where the true (IP address) identity has been concealed in some fashion for the purpose of deceit will result in an immediate permanent ban.
plwk

Postby smcj » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:27 am

Generally in the U.S. you've got to pay to live in a monastery. So unless you have a trust fund, it is best to stay in school so that you can get a job that pays well. That way you can work part time, pay your way through the monastery, and be happy. If you don't get an education you will end up working anyway, but at a low paying job where you must work many more hours to pay your rent. That will take away from your practices and make you unhappy.

Stay in school. Learn a trade. Then go be a monk. That is the correct order in which to do things.

Besides, living in a monastery isn't all that fun. It is communal living. You've got to help clean up, cook, keep the grounds, which is all a lot of work without getting paid. In fact, you pay them. Now in no way am I discouraging you to being a buddhist. It's just that a monk in a monastery isn't the only model for a practitioner. Marpa the Tibetan was a wealthy landowner/farmer with a wife and kids. So your idea of "being a monk" may not be the best way to live your life in order to become enlightened.
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN
smcj

Postby tigerh98 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:09 am

The only way to be good at any religion and to achieve there goals is to become a monk of that religion im going become a buddhist monk 8)
tigerh98

Postby tigerh98 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:12 am

And when i get a job im not going use the money ima save it up to become a monk in another country or to travel to another state or buy some buddhist things
tigerh98

Postby smcj » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:36 am

tigerh98 wrote:The only way to be good at any religion and to achieve there goals is to become a monk of that religion...

Not true. In Tibet some of the best practitioners were not monks and did not live in monasteries. In fact it is very rare that a Nyingma lama is ordained as a monk. Sure there were a lot of monks, but there were also ngagpas, repas, hermits, householders, aristocrats, and even bums living in the streets with the dogs. There were enlightened beings that came from every corner of the society, not just monks in monasteries.

Read "The Life of Milarepa". I like the Lhalungpa edition.
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN
smcj

Postby Seishin » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:38 am

Wateryang. I assume you know the Buddhist teaching of imperminance? Nothing lasts forever and everything changes. You may think that leaving school now is a good thing but life rarely lives up to our expectations and in a few years you may change your mind about monkhood or in which country you choose to ordain. You may need to complete school before being accepted in a university. If you think life as a monk life will be all plain sailing think again.

Take it from all the adult buddhists on this forum when we say 'stay in school'. If you loose support of your parents and can't get a job you'll be stuck as an unemployed lay person for a long time.

Gassho
Senshin.
Seishin
Former staff member

Postby smcj » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:42 am

When I was in my 20s my teacher told me to go back to school. I thought I'd get a union job that would work out better. Now I'm 58 and the work is going to the younger guys. I wish I had taken his advice.
smcj

Postby KonchokZoepa » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:56 am

wateryang wrote:I dont want to riencarnate again im going escape samsara and reach nirvana thats why im going become a buddhist monk im going put all my life/sacrifice my life to reach nirvana and becouse im also a scientist buddhism is a scientific religion science is the killer of religion but not of the religion buddhism

maybe you should buy buddhist books and start studying what buddhism is actually about, you can learn so much from lay practice. and thats where you are at, where the door is open for you atm. lay practice, for the next years. in mahayana we dont escape samsara but we liberate and achieve enlightenment and on our path we dedicate our lives to helping people and making them happy, giving them both temporary and ultimate happiness.

someone said in another thread, that self centerdness is suffering and other centeredness is happiness. try out if its true. from my experience i can say its true. when you love and consider others feelings more than your own desires you find peace and happiness.

i would also suggest meditating in the the midst of noise. follow your breathing and if you hear a noise dont get annoyed by it, relax let it be and let it go, dont let it disturb you or make you angry, use it as a tool to keep your self aware in the present moment, might be worthwhile. learning more about yourself and your mind.

dont waste time being miserly about your situation, dont wait until you can become a monk to start practicing Dharma. people go to work fulltime and still find time to practice Buddhism. you can too and advance your position in samsara towards nirvana.

to answer something to the header of this thread. '' my parents against my beliefs'' if you show your parents that you change because of buddhism, for the better, you have more postive qualities, like genuine love and concern for others and peace and happiness and the overall quality of your life goes to more positive, you will automatically convince your parents of the benefits of buddhism. and you said something about dalai lama.. he would probly teach you love and compassion and care for others. think about them before yourself.

and seriously if you are seriously considering ordination, you need to have some sort of a solid platform in life where you can back if you ever so choose. so education is good if you are not in a situation like me living in finland where i get support from the government if i dont have a job.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa

Postby invisiblediamond » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:33 pm

If you don't master critical thinking skills the dharma will be like an endless rabbit hole and you could lose your mind. Then you will become someone who just parrots verses as you cling to order and sanity. You will become a mockery. Buddha himself was educated in the highest arts, sciences and maths of his day. You don't have to follow traditional education, but you need to know what Oxford, Harvard and Stanford people know, and know how they think. When speaking, no one should be able to tell you didn't receive an excellent education.

Also consider you are wussing out on your responsibilities. A dharma master will see that coming and make you finish your education before teaching you.
invisiblediamond

Postby KonchokZoepa » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:47 pm

invisiblediamond, not every one is suppose to be civilized like some high university people. there is a big difference being a good open hearted human opposed to as being civilized.

and not everyone is meant to have an education to do long thesis and write books. there is also difference between being wise and being intelligent.

also schools very rarely teach you critical thinking, more like they try to mold you into a fitting block to the society.

i disagree quite a lot that we should know what harvard etc people know and how they think. that is a waste of time. rather follow buddhist masters than harvard smart asses.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa

Postby philji » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:38 pm

Being a Monk isn't the only way to practice Buddhism.....and any way why should your mother pay for you to go to China..stand on your own two feet.... This is what Buddhism teaches.
philji

Postby greentara » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:41 pm

konchokZoepa, Whilst I agree that a 15 year old teenager needs the support of his parents; I too think there's far too much emphasis on tertiary education when it comes to Buddhist practise ....the importance of being sincere "good and open hearted" can not be overlooked.
For example the monks in the Thai forest tradition are more interested in meditation, simplicity and stilling the mind rather then writing a thesis! Is scholarship really the way to liberation? I say lets not get too academic, lets get back to basics.
greentara

Postby tigerh98 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:49 pm

I have a problem for riencarnation so of course im going to be a buddhist monk all my like and in school all is sh it like algebra in school ive been showed algebra since 8 grade now im in 9th and idontknow 1bit of it real math for me is plus timetable minus thats all the math i need and my.mom knows almost alot of science stuff and buddhism becouse i though her like a teacher and one day she told me she saw the like of the buddha movie thx ^^ for all the compassion
tigerh98

Postby Seishin » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:21 pm

Tiger, how much of Buddhism do you know? You say you've never meditated?
Seishin
Former staff member

Postby tigerh98 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:09 pm

Ive never meditated but i do concentrate on my breath and thoughts when im in school so u can say yea i meditate?not all of buddhism i know but ill get to the point ill no all of buddhism maybe ill go to a buddhist collage?
tigerh98

Postby Alfredo » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:35 pm

greentara, in your opinion, how much emphasis ought to be placed on SECONDARY education?
(no longer participating on this board)
Alfredo

PreviousNext

Return to Exploring Buddhism