The One Mind (@ jikai)

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

The One Mind (@ jikai)

Postby Ayu » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:53 pm

There is the signature of user jikai:
"There are no seperate dharma's in the Three Realms. There is only the operation of the one mind."

Please tell me: who said that? And where?
Metta, Karuna, Mudita, Upekha
*** om vajra krodha hayagrīva hulu hulu hūm phat**
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: The One Mind (@ jikai)

Postby Ayu » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:35 pm

Explanation:
since some weeks I wonder about the topic of where the mind starts & ends and wether there are many seperated minds or maybe there is only one big mind and seperation may be an illusion.

Many buddhists tell me from the scientific p.o.v. that there is no such a thing like a "one mind".

That's why I ask this question.
:namaste:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Postby plwk » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:44 pm

If I may guess it right, it's the Fourth Patriarch of the Chinese Tiān Tāi Sect, the Great Master Śramaṇa Zhì Yǐ in one of his seminal works,
'The Great Calming and Contemplation' or also 摩訶止観 'mó hē zhǐ guān'. See this quote...
http://faculty.fullerton.edu/jeelooliu/ ... ua-yan.htm
Sometimes Zhi-yi’s remark inclines us to take the first interpretation.
He says, “There are no distinct dharmas in the three realms; all are but the product of one single mind. Mind is like a skilled painter, producing all sorts of forms. It constructs the six destinies, introducing innumerable distinctions in appearance and value [among them].” (The Great Calming and Contemplation, 189-90)
plwk

Postby Jikan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:16 pm

plwk wrote:If I may guess it right, it's the Fourth Patriarch of the Chinese Tiān Tāi Sect, the Great Master Śramaṇa Zhì Yǐ in one of his seminal works,
'The Great Calming and Contemplation' or also 摩訶止観 'mó hē zhǐ guān'. See this quote...
http://faculty.fullerton.edu/jeelooliu/ ... ua-yan.htm
Sometimes Zhi-yi’s remark inclines us to take the first interpretation.
He says, “There are no distinct dharmas in the three realms; all are but the product of one single mind. Mind is like a skilled painter, producing all sorts of forms. It constructs the six destinies, introducing innumerable distinctions in appearance and value [among them].” (The Great Calming and Contemplation, 189-90)

I can't speak for jikai, but I do believe that's correct.

For some context on what is meant by "one mind" in this context, see the most authoritative of sources, wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiantai

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhiyi
Need help getting on retreat? Want to support others in practice? Pay the Dana for Dharma forum a visit...

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Ayu » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:30 pm

Thank you very much. Great help.

For my taste it is quite a difference in saying
1) "... all are but the product of one single mind." or
2) "... there is only the operation of the one mind."

Number 1) sounds more open, whatever this single mind may be. Number 2) sounds like this "the one mind" is something like an omnipotent god.
Maybe it is only a problem with my ears. :tongue:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Postby jikai » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:40 am

Hi Guys,
sorry I didn't reply sooner, haven't been on DW for quite some time!

Indeed the signature is a quote from Tendai Daishi's (Zhiyi/Zhizhe Dashi) Maka Shikan. In explaining its meaning, I think Brook Ziporyn sums it up quite nicely in the following:

"...the proposition 'there is nothing but mind' does not mean that there is only this one mind and that all other things are just illusory appearances in that mind. Rather, all minds are equally real in all their qualitative difference, but they are also equally all-pervasive, so that no mind or thing has an end. Each mind, each object is 'all there is'. Thus any mind is the only mind, and indeed any any sensation or piece of matter is equally the only thing there is; any determination chosen as a starting point pervades all times and places and is
the substratum into which all else is reducible.
(Brook Ziporyn, Evil and/ or/ as the Good, 2000.)

Gassho,
Jikai.
"There are no seperate dharma's in the Three Realms. There is only the operation of the one mind."
"Whoever wishes to benefit beings ought to establish teachings that fit their capacities, expound the dharma in accordance with their capacities, and match the doctrines to them"
jikai

Postby Ayu » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:06 am

Thanks. :smile:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Return to Exploring Buddhism