Silly question - Pure Land

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
TheSpirit

Silly question - Pure Land

Post by TheSpirit »

This might seems as a silly question. Or well..maybe several silly question.

in Jodo or Shin Buddhism.... The practice focuses on getting reborn into the pure land of Amida. And generally most Buddhist who practices Jodo or Shin Buddhism believe all Buddhas have a Pure Land......so is Earth Shakyamuni's pure land? Or does he has his own Pure Land as well? Where is he currently residing or is he completely gone from this world?

I know Kannon Bosatsu has his own pure land. Or,place of residence...Mount Potala and the Miroku Bosatsu is in a heaven waiting for the time to become a Buddha....does all Bodhisattvas have their own pure land or wonderful land as well?

Please excuse me if this is a strange question. I am trying to learn more.

Thank you and I'm grateful for any answer.
“To be fully alive is to have an aesthetic perception of life because a major part of the world's goodness lies in its often unspeakable beauty.”
― Yukitaka Yamamoto
ClearblueSky

Re: Silly question - Pure Land

Post by ClearblueSky »

Hardly silly at all. In my understanding, a pure land, Dewachen for example, is where Amitabha resides as Sambhogakaya form, whereas Shakyamuni on earth as he was seen is considered a Nirmanakaya form of a Buddha. In this way, a Buddha could have their own pure land in Sambhogakaya form, and also have a Nirmanakaya form for benefit in our realm. And through the merit of our prayer, and through connecting with a Buddha and seeing our own land as a pureland here while we are alive, we develop the merit to go directly to that perfect land for practice after we die. Someone please correct if I'm wrong on this, as I've been taught more from a vajrayana perspective than Jodo shinshu specifically.
TheSpirit

Post by TheSpirit »

Thank you very much clearbluesky. I really appreciate you help answering my questions.
“To be fully alive is to have an aesthetic perception of life because a major part of the world's goodness lies in its often unspeakable beauty.”
― Yukitaka Yamamoto
Son of Buddha

Post by Son of Buddha »

TheSpirit wrote:This might seems as a silly question. Or well..maybe several silly question.

in Jodo or Shin Buddhism.... The practice focuses on getting reborn into the pure land of Amida. And generally most Buddhist who practices Jodo or Shin Buddhism believe all Buddhas have a Pure Land......so is Earth Shakyamuni's pure land? Or does he has his own Pure Land as well? Where is he currently residing or is he completely gone from this world?

I know Kannon Bosatsu has his own pure land. Or,place of residence...Mount Potala and the Miroku Bosatsu is in a heaven waiting for the time to become a Buddha....does all Bodhisattvas have their own pure land or wonderful land as well?

Please excuse me if this is a strange question. I am trying to learn more.

Thank you and I'm grateful for any answer.
Check out lotus sutra chapter 16 Shakyamunis Pure Land is "vultures peak) or "eagles peak"
It seems from the writings to be thinly veiled behind our reality.
TheSpirit

Post by TheSpirit »

Thank you Son of Buddha. I did check out that chapter. Thank you for sharing!
― Yukitaka Yamamoto

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”