Two questions.

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Two questions.

Postby praeteritum » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:38 am

When I was a child, I heard about meditation due to having an interest in martial arts movies. Although I never went to any classes, I sometimes did my own version of what I thought meditation is.

One hot summers day, after meditating, I opened my eyes and there was a large-ish frog sat on my left knee. It must have climbed up somehow, without me noticing.
I thought at the time it was sort of interesting/cool, but I just put it down to coincidence. Now though I wonder..?
Is there any meaning to this? Does a frog carry some kind of meaning in Buddhism?

Also, could someone tell me what the consciousness is that you can reach above that of what you use in mindfulness?
It's sort of difficult to explain, but there's at first watching - awareness, and then this something that is above that, where "you" can watch the watching. In words it doesn't come across easily, but where I said "you," doesn't make sense in how it feels. Because it's as if being part of everything, but not an I or me or you. Watching/knowing/being aware of the consciousness of my body.. Ah, so difficult to explain.
I've got there a few times, but for some reason I'm somewhat scared of it, like I'm afraid of letting go.
praeteritum

Re: Two questions.

Postby Jikan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:07 pm

praeteritum wrote:When I was a child, I heard about meditation due to having an interest in martial arts movies. Although I never went to any classes, I sometimes did my own version of what I thought meditation is.

One hot summers day, after meditating, I opened my eyes and there was a large-ish frog sat on my left knee. It must have climbed up somehow, without me noticing.
I thought at the time it was sort of interesting/cool, but I just put it down to coincidence. Now though I wonder..?
Is there any meaning to this? Does a frog carry some kind of meaning in Buddhism?

start here:

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Naga

Also, could someone tell me what the consciousness is that you can reach above that of what you use in mindfulness?
It's sort of difficult to explain, but there's at first watching - awareness, and then this something that is above that, where "you" can watch the watching. In words it doesn't come across easily, but where I said "you," doesn't make sense in how it feels. Because it's as if being part of everything, but not an I or me or you. Watching/knowing/being aware of the consciousness of my body.. Ah, so difficult to explain.
I've got there a few times, but for some reason I'm somewhat scared of it, like I'm afraid of letting go

For this sort of question, I think you are best served by speaking directly to a capable teacher. Describe your experiences, and listen carefully to his or her advice as you develop.
Need help getting on retreat? Want to support others in practice? Pay the Dana for Dharma forum a visit...

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby ClearblueSky » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:19 pm

The only thing I can think of with a frog specifically is in Tibetan astrology, where a frog sometimes represents the Earth element. It's usually represented impaled actually, to show the pinning down and stabilizing of the element. But I think it's always a good sign when animals are drawn to you through meditation. There's lots of cases of this, and maybe it means you were giving off a nice energy the little guy appreciated.
ClearblueSky

Postby praeteritum » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:18 pm

Thank you. :)

I think animals can sense compassion, and therefore the frog wasn't afraid of me. What's strange at least to me, is how it crawled upon my knee, without feeling it; almost as if it just appeared from nowhere.
praeteritum

Postby futerko » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:30 pm

I tried meditating in bed to stop the cat attacking my feet... maybe I need to deepen my practice! :thinking:
we cannot get rid of God because we still believe in grammar - Nietzsche
futerko

Postby praeteritum » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:10 pm

futerko wrote:I tried meditating in bed to stop the cat attacking my feet... maybe I need to deepen my practice! :thinking:

Haha.. But does the cat also attack your feet when you are not meditating?
praeteritum

Postby futerko » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:17 pm

praeteritum wrote:
futerko wrote:I tried meditating in bed to stop the cat attacking my feet... maybe I need to deepen my practice! :thinking:

Haha.. But does the cat also attack your feet when you are not meditating?

Actually he's quite gentle, playful, and attention seeking in a kind hearted way. I'm not fully convinced he's actually a cat at all, but that's another story. :tongue:
we cannot get rid of God because we still believe in grammar - Nietzsche
futerko

Postby Lindama » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:53 pm

I had a similar experience, perhaps it will make sense for you. I agree there is some kind of consciousness aware of awareness, hard to explain. I sat with a rabbit for 3 hours in the desert on a vision quest. I was walking past it in the sage brush, she was ready to bolt but I stopped and so did she. I stood there for a long time but finally had to sit down and have some water. It was very hot. She was close enough to touch, but I didn't. At that point I knew that my connection with the rabbit was there and that she would not be disturbed by the movement or noise. I had to unzip a large pack that I was carrying. I did not feel separate from the rabbit, there seemed to be an energetic connection, particularly in the heart area. I'm not speaking of feelings exactly, it seemed more of an energy. I was fully present with the rabbit, no extraneous thought. There was no separation with the rabbit or my surroundings. I felt that with two horses in the light of a full moon. Then there was a sense of communion. To me, it is a consciousness and a meditative state where we have dropped a personal sense of self, and a sense of interconnection with everything happens. I think it happens more often than we might expect.
Lindama

Return to Exploring Buddhism