TB monasteries that accept westerners for ordination

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Re: TB monasteries that accept westerners for ordination

Postby conebeckham » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:14 pm

I've hesitated in posting this, sometimes I feel like I should keep my big mouth shut, but...what the heck, here goes:

If you're interested in practicing Vajrayana Buddhism, the most important consideration is who your teacher will be.
You do not need to be a monk to practice Vajrayana. In fact, as a Western person, I strongly recommend you check out teachers, centers, and various traditions, and decide who your teacher will be, before you consider monastic ordination. This will usually mean that you then will affiliate yourself, more or less, with that teacher's lineage, or center, or both.

Once that is clear, and you have a working foundation and a practice, you can consider whether monasticism is something you wish to pursue. This sort of undertaking, IMO, should be discussed with one's personal teacher. Then, and only then, would one consider affiliating oneself with a monastery. There are hundreds of monasteries representing various Tibetan traditions--and those that are affiliated with our lineage and practice will naturally be a better fit for you. I also consider these affiliations when choosing where to send my money...but for me, it's somewhat easier as I have relatives in several monasteries, so it's an easy choice who I support.

Now, if you are primarily interested in taking Monks' vows, and not in practicing Vajrayana, perhaps it doesn't matter so much where you go.

I don't want to discourage anyone from the earnest and noble aspiration to become a monk, which is why I hesitated to say a thing....but I felt these words would serve you on your path.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Re: TB monasteries that accept westerners for ordination

Postby KonchokZoepa » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:45 am

your right on the point. i think i have found my teacher though and probly i will never become a monk since lay practice can be equally fruitful. and can in some cases actually prepare for the inevitable death experience better and in a more encompassing way.

what your suggestion was though i dont think its possible for most people who consider becoming a monk since the teachers are rare and it highly depends on where you live.

i live in finland and i have a nyingma lama here so i ought to take my change with him allthough one day there will be a karma kagyu lama coming to permanently reside in finland so when that happens i will check him out. who knows what will happen.

i appreciate your reply though, its very good and useful.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa

Previous

Return to Exploring Buddhism