Budha was wrong about desire

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Re: Budha was wrong about desire

Postby Alfredo » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:36 am

She makes some good points--for example, her observation that desire is part of human nature, and is basically good. Buddhism does not have a very realistic or workable account. Either desire is considered bad, or it is something to be sublimated into a spiritual desire (as in tantra). This seems divorced from our basic biology and psychology.

One problem is that Teal fails to distinguish between good and bad desires. To her, all desires are good--the fact that you have a desire, is proof that the universe wants you to fulfill it. Is this her advice to dieters, or child molesters?

Another is her weird cosmology. Desire causes the universe to expand?! And the whole "higher self" thing raises serious problems of identity. (Is it me, or not me?)

("Teal"---what an interesting name. If I become a New Age teacher, perhaps I should call myself Chartreuse.)
(no longer participating on this board)
Alfredo

Re: Budha was wrong about desire

Postby Jinzang » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:36 am

Desire is an ambiguous word with more than one meaning, which is why I prefer using craving. Nothing wrong with pleasure or trying to be happy. Pleny wrong with craving.
Lamrim, lojong, and mahamudra are the unmistaken path.
Jinzang

Previous

Return to Exploring Buddhism