Psychedelics

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Re: Psychedelics

Postby Sherab Dorje » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:59 pm

Stoned.jpg
Stoned.jpg (75.17 KiB) Viewed 334 times
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby oushi » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:03 pm

I hopped for something constructive, or at least funny. This is just ignorant and cynical :roll:
oushi

Postby Sherab Dorje » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:04 pm

I thought it was funny, maybe you are just being too serious? Nothing a couple of tokes on a joint won't fix! :smile:
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby padma norbu » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:07 pm

oushi wrote:
You wish.

You need to raise your head, and look a little bit higher. Psychedelics are not one flavored. They diametrically change their effects depending on a dosage an setting. It is setting that is missing now. You need to direct it, and there are not many people getting stoned while reading a sacred texts, in a place that is ready to accept their intimacy. It is pretty much wild activity now. No culture and dignity following the consumption. Still, a bunch of childish people behaving like it's the first time they smoke a stolen cigarette. Probably one of the reason of such a behavior is society perceiving smoking as something childish, thus people don't even think about bringing it into a "noble" setting. People need to be guided, and there are not many guides out there. The last one that I knew died a decade ago.

I have an old friend that is a daily smoker of marijuana. Although he know how to use it to cleanse his being, he didn't realize how it can be used in a spiritual context. I've sent him a Gospel of Thomas to read while being stoned (because it is very condense, and doesn't need an introduction) and he was astonished on how the experience changed. There is a great field that even habitual smoker have no idea about. It requires a setting similar to that created for meditation. One does not go to meditate in a noisy nightclub, and that's what Amsterdam was.

Ofc, it is not all in one solution to all problem. But it makes a transition from nothing, to something, and then this something may be developed further. But until people see that this "something" really exists, can be experienced by them directly, they are unaware of it. And that would be... a huge majority. You may not benefit from it, as you are already on a good path, but there are billions who doesn't have a clue.

Yes, I wish that cannabis is legalized, and used in proper way, so it becomes major spiritual force, because humanity needs it.
We can wish for a new bodhisattva, prophet, or saint... but he will benefit humanity till the first bullet finds him. We know the story, it repeats itself over and over again since the old days.

So, Yes, I wish...

Smoking pot puts you in touch with your natural ability to appreciate music and food which is normally obscured by sobriety. Not sure how this could lead to much else besides relative enjoyment, though.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Postby padma norbu » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:08 pm

oushi wrote:I hopped for something constructive, or at least funny. This is just ignorant and cynical :roll:

It was actually both. Did you scroll down to read the bottom?
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Postby oushi » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:12 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:I thought it was funny, maybe you are just being too serious? Nothing a couple of tokes on a joint won't fix! :smile:

Yea, I know that you wanted it to look funny. And probably I am too serious, maybe because when I look upon humanity (and this discussion made me wonder again), it's a horrible sight.
Do you see a way of this situation, or at least a perspective? Or should we make fun of it also?

padma norbu wrote:
oushi wrote:I hopped for something constructive, or at least funny. This is just ignorant and cynical :roll:

It was actually both. Did you scroll down to read the bottom?

Yes, I did. It doesn't counteracts some toxin, but a hate, anger and violence, at least. It's that good enough?

Smoking pot puts you in touch with your natural ability to appreciate music and food which is normally obscured by sobriety. Not sure how this could lead to much else besides relative enjoyment, though.

That's why people smoke it in clubs for example... ;) I was talking about a different use. If you never gained anything beside appreciation for music or food, than I can understand your confusion.
oushi

Postby Sherab Dorje » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:19 pm

oushi wrote:Yea, I know that you wanted it to look funny. And probably I am too serious, maybe because when I look upon humanity (and this discussion made me wonder again), it's a horrible sight.
Do you see a way of this situation, or at least a perspective? Or should we make fun of it also?
Buddha, Dharma, Sangha comes to mind. Taking intoxicants doesn't. It used to. But I saw through that facade about a decade ago.
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby M.G. » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:21 pm

padma norbu wrote:
oushi wrote:
You wish.

You need to raise your head, and look a little bit higher. Psychedelics are not one flavored. They diametrically change their effects depending on a dosage an setting. It is setting that is missing now. You need to direct it, and there are not many people getting stoned while reading a sacred texts, in a place that is ready to accept their intimacy. It is pretty much wild activity now. No culture and dignity following the consumption. Still, a bunch of childish people behaving like it's the first time they smoke a stolen cigarette. Probably one of the reason of such a behavior is society perceiving smoking as something childish, thus people don't even think about bringing it into a "noble" setting. People need to be guided, and there are not many guides out there. The last one that I knew died a decade ago.

I have an old friend that is a daily smoker of marijuana. Although he know how to use it to cleanse his being, he didn't realize how it can be used in a spiritual context. I've sent him a Gospel of Thomas to read while being stoned (because it is very condense, and doesn't need an introduction) and he was astonished on how the experience changed. There is a great field that even habitual smoker have no idea about. It requires a setting similar to that created for meditation. One does not go to meditate in a noisy nightclub, and that's what Amsterdam was.

Ofc, it is not all in one solution to all problem. But it makes a transition from nothing, to something, and then this something may be developed further. But until people see that this "something" really exists, can be experienced by them directly, they are unaware of it. And that would be... a huge majority. You may not benefit from it, as you are already on a good path, but there are billions who doesn't have a clue.

Yes, I wish that cannabis is legalized, and used in proper way, so it becomes major spiritual force, because humanity needs it.
We can wish for a new bodhisattva, prophet, or saint... but he will benefit humanity till the first bullet finds him. We know the story, it repeats itself over and over again since the old days.

So, Yes, I wish...

When I was younger I smoked plenty of ganja while doing Buddhist and Taoist Chi Kung practices. It put me very strongly in touch with my subtle body, so I thought it was helping me spiritually, but it also impaired my judgment to the point where I realized I couldn't be sure there was any lasting benefit to my work. I eventually realized that I was training myself to enjoy getting high rather than to reap the fruits of practice.

I won't absolutely say cannabis has zero value - I've already said it helped me recognize how much repressed anger I used to carry around - but at least in my own life, I tricked myself into thinking use was spiritually beneficial when the opposite was actually true. Because of my own experience, it would be dishonest for me to say I don't take claims of drug use having lasting spiritual benefits without a little salt.
Last edited by M.G. on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
M.G.

Postby oushi » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:25 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:
oushi wrote:Yea, I know that you wanted it to look funny. And probably I am too serious, maybe because when I look upon humanity (and this discussion made me wonder again), it's a horrible sight.
Buddha, Dharma, Sangha comes to mind. Taking intoxicants doesn't. It used to. But I saw through that facade about a decade ago.

I was asking about global solution. We have Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha for 2500 years now, and it's getting worse and worse right? And I am not talking about substituting those three with an intoxicant, but making people enter them wholeheartedly on a massive scale.
oushi

Postby Sherab Dorje » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:47 pm

oushi wrote:I was asking about global solution. We have Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha for 2500 years now, and it's getting worse and worse right? And I am not talking about substituting those three with an intoxicant, but making people enter them wholeheartedly on a massive scale.
Dude, saying that marijuana will help the global situation by making everybody mellow is like saying that Prozac will help the global situation by making everybody mellow.

I am 100% sure that the Three Jewels make me a mellower person, and they have no nasty side effects. As for the global situation... well, I can really only take responsibility for what I am doing, drugging everybody else doesn't sound like the best solution to me.
Last edited by Sherab Dorje on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby padma norbu » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:52 pm

oushi wrote:It doesn't counteracts some toxin, but a hate, anger and violence, at least. It's that good enough?

Hmmm, then why are so many hateful, violent types really into weed? Gangsta rap and the heaviest of metal music comes to mind... plus, I have always known potheads who were just as nasty and mean-spirited as anyone else, just lazier and more weasely.

Hanging out with a bunch of stoner-programmers last year, I learned that it is good for thinking about things in a different way, more abstractly, but not good for structured, analytical thinking (their explanation). In other words, smoking pot and programming don't mix. Smoking pot at the end of the day to wind down your racing weed-dependent brain, however, was seen as beneficial. Personally, I know from my own experience that marijuana makes me feel legitimately retarded and so I don't think there is any real practical application as far as what Buddhist practice strives to accomplish. I'll mention again that Chogyam Trungpa was one of the first to bring buddhadharma to the west and meet with the psychedelic culture; he called LSD "super-samsara" and said there might be some use for it (which we've basically covered already in this thread), but he was thoroughly against pot and actually asked everyone to send their marijuana up to the front... and then he began chucking the bags into the fire, surprising and angering some people who presumably weren't ready to throw away their bags of weed. I know a lot of stoned hippies over the years have thought meditation sounded like a good idea until they tried it and fell over asleep in a lotus pose. I've read that exact story so many times in my life from various authors, celebs and regular people that I don't believe pot is very beneficial at all. It might seem like it is, but how many years are you going to go through life stoned thinking you're getting something out of it? It's so easy to waste time in fantasies, even sober. It is even easier to do stoned.
padma norbu

Postby oushi » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:22 pm

Dude, saying that marijuana will help the global situation by making everybody mellow is like saying that Prozac will help the global situation by making everybody mellow.

Firstly, the difference between marijuana and a placebo pill is significant. Secondly, I was not talking about becoming mellow. Thirdly, you are trying to underestimate the discussion, which betrays your intentions. We can talk and disagree while being reasonable, can we? I really see no reason in arguing on a forum about the differences between marijuana and prozac effects. If you seen none, then you are one of those which I described before. Can you live with that, or will you still try to prove than there is no difference?
I can really only take responsibility for what I am doing

Yes, but shouldn't you care about all sentient beings?
drugging everybody else doesn't sound like the best solution to me

I wish that there would be a better way. Is there? Can you lecture on it?
We all know benefits of the Dharma, that's why we are here. But being reasonable, we cannot say that it will safe humanity from the downfall. We live in the world when delusion in universal, and a fuel of the economy. Without the greed of consumers, economy will collapse. This is the state after promoting Dharma for 2500 years. You think that next 100 will bring any significant changes? If so, how? We are leaving in a world that is mostly democratic, so the solution needs to be applied to majority. There is no way for Dharma to acquire 3 bln new followers.
So, the game is lost? Or should we believe that something will change, and cure people from deep ignorance?

padma norbu wrote: I've read that exact story so many times in my life from various authors, celebs and regular people that I don't believe pot is very beneficial at all. It might seem like it is, but how many years are you going to go through life stoned thinking you're getting something out of it?

It looks like we are going in circles here. I am not talking about changing sober state into stoned state and living the rest of you life stoned. Actually, I'm against the use of any drug outside of safe setting. There is a great change of getting into accident for example. Moreover, marijuana dissolved weak neuron connections which results in forgetting. We want to forget, but not too much.
Used "properly" for contemplating the mind, marijuana leaves a great amount of insights that require days, or even weeks to be cracked. They may be totally without sense, but nevertheless they were stored and created confusion. For 3 hours of being stoned, one will need a week to contemplate the meaning of such an experience. It shouldn't be treated like evening beer, otherwise it's nothing different then a bottle of beer.
Examples of use are ok, but we have to say that they are inaccurate. Taking a mere apparition as a proof will not take us far. I am talking about my experience, and although I don't use it anymore (I don't have to), I cannot say that it was not beneficial, because that would be a lie. I could think that I am different, and my reaction is different then others, and this is causing this entire misunderstanding. But I haven't seen here any example of proper use, and I know it may be misused. Between all those negative examples I agree with, are those beneficial ones. Shedding some light on them, explaining and discussing them makes sense. Or doesn't it?
It reminds me of a part of news I heard today regarding the change in justice system related to the drug. It was stated that there is funding for only those researches that are aiming to show the negative effect of marijuana. It seem that there is a social echo of such a behavior.

For long time I didn't want to participate in this discussion, because I somehow knew how it will end. I wish good luck to all participants in developing a discussion of reason for the benefit of all.

A little bit of comedy:
oushi

Postby padma norbu » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:49 pm

I enjoyed Peep Show immensely up until the last season.

I am still waiting for you to make a good case for marijuana being the panacea you seem to imagine it could be. For example, this statement of yours is about the closest you've come to something realish: "Used 'properly' for contemplating the mind, marijuana leaves a great amount of insights that require days, or even weeks to be cracked." ... which is unfortunately not actually even as great in reality as you've made it out to be here. Pot makes you introspective, yes. So does sitting on the toilet. What insights have you "cracked?" Whatever they are, I'd love to hear them.
padma norbu

Postby Vasana » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:25 pm

It's eventual legalization or decriminalization will obviously be a source of hedonistic and recreational use, but at the same time, for many people, an eye-opening new experience.

We know it's not going to save the world's problems in an instance, but it seems pretty easy to imagine that many people who would otherwise be too rigid in their views of it being illegal and therefore somehow more immoral and harmful than alcohol/tobacco etc, might be a bit more receptive to it's benefits. Both physically and mentally. (of course smoking isn't the healthiest way compared to ingestion or vaporization but ,smoking will be the standard for most)

An intoxicant in some hands , medical herb in others, meditation aid to some.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_ ... f_cannabis

Millions/billions of newly high people can't really be any worse than millions/billions of alcohol abusers.

padma norbu , i can't speak for everyone, but pot can obviously loosen the grip of the mind on it's self and it's overly analytical and serious commentary on life. Of course Buddha,Dharma,Sangha and sitting on the toilet seat can provide that, but from a worldly perspective, like oushi was saying, not everyone has 'access' or interest in these things.

Contemplation of life can bring about merryness and Joy, but people still reach for the alcohol to enhance/ diminish the celebration. We live in an age where people might not necessarily "need" aids for mood and mind, but if they're not going to arrive at 'valuable' contemplative states without them, which is less beneficial- part-taking or not ?

Again, none of this stuff is black and white and there are obviously many disadvantages and advantages.
Vasana

Postby oushi » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:40 pm

I am still waiting for you to make a good case for marijuana being the panacea you seem to imagine it could be.

Not an easy task, because it doesn't have a form of independent lessons that can be shared with others. Nevertheless I will try to give an example.
Contemplating guilt reveals a pattern of how it is applied to oneself. It enabled me to remove the whole guilt that I gathered though years without the need of listing the cause one by one. The feeling of guilt itself was removed. Further on, by contemplating the passion of Christ (don't be shocked, it's just a tool) and the redemption of both past and future sins, guilt was removed totally, and hopes, expectations and fears related to it. This introduces a "silk" like, pure awareness, and bliss beyond any experience I have every feel. Upon this clarity an insight into how and why the guilt is created was revealed. Two aspects of the mind, one peaceful and radiant and the other suspicious and carrying, were distinguished. The first one quiet and unperturbed and the second one embracing the first one with barbed fence like net of conscience. It was supposed to make the whole being look compliant to the social norms. It was worried about how others will perceive me. "Me" which was nothing but those two.

Afterwards I was shocked that conscience can be causing suffering, but we cannot deny the fact that if you break it, guilt will arise and suffering will follow. Since there are different social norms, conscience can take different shape. It shouldn't be seen as positive, but rather as a result of external conditions, crystallized form of who we want to be. The blissful aspect of my being that was entrapped in thin cage of "reason" was in no way a tread to anyone. But the cage was not only working as a conscience, but also as a form which makes me look well. This looking "well" was nothing but a way to hide my intimacy, and present myself to the society in a shape in which I think society wants to see me. Later on, I was able to perceive parts of this barbed fence and unbind them, removing suffering, and bringing well-being. It is worth mentioning that the fence was made of patterns of words, thoughts and conclusions, while the radiant part was totally unagitated.

This is one example, which can be presented independently of the rest. Now, this is very intimate description, and I know that revealing a soft spot may hurt, as some may try to take advantage of it. This is another insight showing why we are in constant guard against others, why the cage is created in the first place.
Anyway, because it is honest, there is no trigger for guilt and suffering. There is nothing to defend as honesty show only how things are. Hope it gives some light on the subject, and satisfies you curiosity.
oushi

Postby padma norbu » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:58 pm

oushi wrote:
I am still waiting for you to make a good case for marijuana being the panacea you seem to imagine it could be.

Not an easy task, because it doesn't have a form of independent lessons that can be shared with others. Nevertheless I will try to give an example.
Contemplating guilt reveals a pattern of how it is applied to oneself. It enabled me to remove the whole guilt that I gathered though years without the need of listing the cause one by one. The feeling of guilt itself was removed. Further on, by contemplating the passion of Christ (don't be shocked, it's just a tool) and the redemption of both past and future sins, guilt was removed totally, and hopes, expectations and fears related to it. This introduces a "silk" like, pure awareness, and bliss beyond any experience I have every feel. Upon this clarity an insight into how and why the guilt is created was revealed. Two aspects of the mind, one peaceful and radiant and the other suspicious and carrying, were distinguished. The first one quiet and unperturbed and the second one embracing the first one with barbed fence like net of conscience. It was supposed to make the whole being look compliant to the social norms. It was worried about how others will perceive me. "Me" which was nothing but those two.

Afterwards I was shocked that conscience can be causing suffering, but we cannot deny the fact that if you break it, guilt will arise and suffering will follow. Since there are different social norms, conscience can take different shape. It shouldn't be seen as positive, but rather as a result of external conditions, crystallized form of who we want to be. The blissful aspect of my being that was entrapped in thin cage of "reason" was in no way a tread to anyone. But the cage was not only working as a conscience, but also as a form which makes me look well. This looking "well" was nothing but a way to hide my intimacy, and present myself to the society in a shape in which I think society wants to see me. Later on, I was able to perceive parts of this barbed fence and unbind them, removing suffering, and bringing well-being. It is worth mentioning that the fence was made of patterns of words, thoughts and conclusions, while the radiant part was totally unagitated.

This is one example, which can be presented independently of the rest. Now, this is very intimate description, and I know that revealing a soft spot may hurt, as some may try to take advantage of it. This is another insight showing why we are in constant guard against others, why the cage is created in the first place.
Anyway, because it is honest, there is no trigger for guilt and suffering. There is nothing to defend as honesty show only how things are. Hope it gives some light on the subject, and satisfies you curiosity.

That's interesting, but I remain skeptical due to my own experiences with pot as well as other drugs. Of course, everyone reacts differently to pot, including myself at different times of my life, which is typical. It used to produce hysterical laughter and joy, then a mellow social feeling and a mellow introspective feeling, then this seemed to turn into a sort of mellow avoidance and finally the last several times I tried it, it caused almost zero enjoyment and only produced a sensation of panic and paranoid introspection. I used to think a couple bad trips ruined my ability to appreciate marijuana, but actually I tripped quite a few times well after I stopped smoking pot and never had a meltdown like I always do using weed. Set and setting is backwards for me as far as pot is concerned; I can only enjoy it in a public spectacle type setting where my senses are overloaded with stimulation. Put me in a nice safe environment like my own home and I will have a panic attack about what I'm doing with my life. I suppose the point of what I am relating about myself is that whatever insights gained generally seem fleeting and it is hard to ascertain if more harm or good came from the experiences since you can't travel down two separate timelines in alternate realities as both a drug-user and a sober individual; you can only speculate about how you would be now if you never tried them. Sometimes I think even the beneficial insights gleaned on various substances are misleading, ie. distortions in your deep psychology to see things in a way that is most advantageous to you regardless of whether or not it's actually true.
padma norbu

Postby oushi » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:16 am

Thank you for your honesty here, because it really made a difference. With conjunction with a documentary I saw yesterday, about the effects of THC, it makes perfect sense. Majority will probably confirm your experiences, and the shape they can take. Because that's how pot works when smoked. It is one of the least know plants to science, because it has more then 60 active components. The main one is THC which in pure form is very unpleasant, and causes effects close to psychosis. The rest of active parts make up for it, transforming the experience into pretty random in effects, often laughter, sometimes joy, or panic. It is probably related to the ration of THC inhaled. So, it goes along with your story.

Smoking marijuana is No, No!
When ingested in a specific form, THC is decomposed by lever into a new substance (don't want to go into chemistry), which differ in effects greatly. Experience is very stable, and repeatable. There is absolutely no laughter (ever), and certainly no disturbing emotions caused by the plant. Our misunderstanding was caused by the fact that we were talking about different experiences.

I can now say that smoked marijuana may not cause any desirable, or profound experiences.
oushi

Postby padma norbu » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:32 pm

oushi wrote:Thank you for your honesty here, because it really made a difference. With conjunction with a documentary I saw yesterday, about the effects of THC, it makes perfect sense. Majority will probably confirm your experiences, and the shape they can take. Because that's how pot works when smoked. It is one of the least know plants to science, because it has more then 60 active components. The main one is THC which in pure form is very unpleasant, and causes effects close to psychosis. The rest of active parts make up for it, transforming the experience into pretty random in effects, often laughter, sometimes joy, or panic. It is probably related to the ration of THC inhaled. So, it goes along with your story.

Smoking marijuana is No, No!
When ingested in a specific form, THC is decomposed by lever into a new substance (don't want to go into chemistry), which differ in effects greatly. Experience is very stable, and repeatable. There is absolutely no laughter (ever), and certainly no disturbing emotions caused by the plant. Our misunderstanding was caused by the fact that we were talking about different experiences.

I can now say that smoked marijuana may not cause any desirable, or profound experiences.

We're talking about a period from when I was 14 until I was about 30 years old (although I was never an avid "stoner" type and I pretty much quit at age 23, only to try it here and there maybe once a year until I finally just stopped even bothering to take that risk). The deterioration of my marijuana enjoyment probably coincided with the development of super-potent strains. Louis CK did a funny bit about that...

...but, before I began to hate pot, I certainly did enjoy it for a period of time. It made me introspective, I thought it was a big deal at the time. In retrospect, it was a waste of time. That's what I'm saying here. And, I did smoke it somewhat sacredly. I got high, got deep, thought about stuff that probably didn't matter so much that it is probably why I became slowly more antisocial and demotivated. Like I said, I can't say what benefit there was, since I can't compare my life to an alternate universe timeline where I never used drugs. If I could get a "do-over" of my life, I would have tried harder in high school, got a scholarship to a good school and earned an MBA instead of pursuing a life of the lazy, philosophical, drug-addled artist.

Oh, btw, one of the few times my wife ever had a bad experience with marijuana, it was due to eating a single pot cookie. I was right there with her of course, silently freaking out and trying to look normal from eating my own pot cookie. When she slipped away, I asked where she was going and then eagerly followed her to a bedroom upstairs where we lay down and avoided everyone for the rest of the night and eventually fell asleep. So, it can be just as awful when ingested as it can when smoked. And here's a funny video about that, too...
Last edited by padma norbu on Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
padma norbu

Postby oushi » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:49 pm

Omg, that skit was hilarious. :rolling:
oushi

Postby padma norbu » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:56 pm

oushi wrote:Omg, that skit was hilarious. :rolling:

It's pretty much exactly how I feel, so I always laugh my ass off when I watch it. I've probably seen it 5x now. Anyway, I was just adding a bit more about eating weed brownies, etc. There's a new vid (short) if you reload the page.
padma norbu

PreviousNext

Return to Exploring Buddhism