Identifying a state of mind

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
leke

Identifying a state of mind

Post by leke »

I'm having some difficulty defining a state of mind that is causing me some suffering on a regular basis. I live in an environment where people are always screaming at something not going their way, or at each other. During it, I feel a very negative emotion come over me which I can't put my finger on. It's doesn't seem to be fear or anger, but it is very uncomfortable (like an anxiety).

I try to meditate on this feeling, but have made little progress subduing its appearance. I thought perhaps if I could identify it as something (like one of the 3 poisons), I could try some methods to directly approach it.

Do any of you folks have any tips on how I could identify this problem?

Thanks.
Anders

Re: Identifying a state of mind

Post by Anders »

don't try to put your finger on it, don't try to subdue it. At least for the purpose of getting to know it.

I would suggest dropping the spiritual detective role for a bit and invite the feeling in for a session of inviting it in for a plain listening session. When you aren't picking at it, subduing nor engaging it and learn to simply listen in to it there is a good chance it might actually be telling you what it is directly - you may just have been too busy examining or subduing it to notice.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
lobster

Post by lobster »

One of the ways of identifying is looking for and exploring where and how it is in the body . . . :smile:
leke

Post by leke »

lobster wrote:One of the ways of identifying is looking for and exploring where and how it is in the body . . . :smile:
I tend to think of everything in the mind and never thought about the rest of the body harbouring 'feelings'. I noticed the negative state of mind manifests itself very strongly as a unpleasant feeling in the area in between my belly button and my guy nipple level. Sometimes it sends more of itself up from the lower level to the chest (nipple) level.
This and your comment made me think of chakras, so I researched them. It seems the unpleasant feeling is located in the Manipura. I can research this a little more and see if I can learn anything from understanding chakras. I never really thought of chakras being anything 'real', but this has peaked my interest.
Like Anders said though, I won't try and rush into tackling the problem until I've had a good change to 'listen/feel' to it more.
lobster

Post by lobster »

Good luck. :smile:

Don't get too caught up in chakras. Some research useful by all means. Don't try and subdue anything, just be aware of the physical nature of the discomfort. Everything is fine. :smile:
leke

Post by leke »

lobster wrote:Good luck. :smile:

Don't get too caught up in chakras. Some research useful by all means. Don't try and subdue anything, just be aware of the physical nature of the discomfort. Everything is fine. :smile:
Yes, I'm starting to see in Buddhism that the best cause of action is inaction, and awareness. It seems chakras are a good 'tool' for creating points of awareness to meditate on (but I could be totally wrong here).

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”