Introductory Texts

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
Nicholas Weeks
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am

Introductory Texts

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:13 pm

One of the oldest, still in use primers for newcomers is Nagarjuna's Letter to a King or Letter to a Friend or Friendly Letter (other translations abound). Bhikshu Dharmamitra gives three very old translations from the Sanskrit. http://www.kalavinka.com/kp_book_pages/ ... k_page.htm

Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member
Posts: 2230
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:44 pm

Re: Introductory Texts

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:42 am

Will, this is a awesome. Thanks :)

User avatar
ratand
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 3:11 pm
Location: tennessee

Re: Introductory Texts

Postby ratand » Thu May 13, 2010 3:46 pm

thanks.
"I listened, but then I had a small piece of fluff in my ear. Could you say it again, please, Rabbit?"
- Winnie the Pooh

User avatar
Indrajala
Posts: 6284
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Introductory Texts

Postby Indrajala » Thu May 13, 2010 3:51 pm

I love the text because it gets to the meat of things and doesn't waste a syllable.
tad etat sarvajñānaṃ karuṇāmūlaṃ bodhicittahetukam upāyaparyavasānam iti |
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)

Nicholas Weeks
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am

Re: Introductory Texts

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Thu May 13, 2010 4:50 pm

Most of these downloadable 10 Kalavinka Press PDFs are good introductions to the Mahayana:

http://ifile.it/t3aqukl/MahayanaPDFs.zip

Nicholas Weeks
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am

Re: The Teaching of Buddha

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:14 pm

This title has been around since the 1920s, but it is free from BDK: https://www.bdkamerica.org/default.aspx?MPID=53

A much larger compilation from the sutras/suttas arranged according to Buddha's life: https://www.bdkamerica.org/default.aspx?MPID=33

User avatar
Astus
Former staff member
Posts: 5717
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 pm
Location: Budapest

Re: Introductory Texts

Postby Astus » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:18 pm

Will wrote:Most of these downloadable 10 Kalavinka Press PDFs are good introductions to the Mahayana:

http://ifile.it/t3aqukl/MahayanaPDFs.zip


Unfortunately that file is gone. If anyone could upload it it would be a great help.

Will wrote:This title has been around since the 1920s, but it is free from BDK: https://www.bdkamerica.org/default.aspx?MPID=53


It presents a Japanese perspective of what constitutes the Buddha's teachings. I'm not sure if it really fits for the category of introduction since it contains many different levels of teachings without explaining the connection.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.


1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

Nicholas Weeks
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am

Re: Introductory Texts

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:15 pm

Astus wrote:
Will wrote:Most of these downloadable 10 Kalavinka Press PDFs are good introductions to the Mahayana:

http://ifile.it/t3aqukl/MahayanaPDFs.zip


Unfortunately that file is gone. If anyone could upload it it would be a great help.

Will wrote:This title has been around since the 1920s, but it is free from BDK: https://www.bdkamerica.org/default.aspx?MPID=53


It presents a Japanese perspective of what constitutes the Buddha's teachings. I'm not sure if it really fits for the category of introduction since it contains many different levels of teachings without explaining the connection.


The little book does gives many levels of Dharma, thus everyone will find something inspiring.

Bhikshu Dharmamitra will, time & health permitting, give full PDFs of his translations in time.


Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tomschwarz, Yahoo [Bot] and 55 guests