Successful at Buddhism?...

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Successful at Buddhism?...

Postby _username_ » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:18 pm

(hi) <waves> When I first encountered Buddhism on the Internet it meant reading the life story of the Buddha and forming the underlying "philosophy" of what that actually means. Its not quite clear how that translates to belief and practice. From what I understand the Buddha is said to have been in the stead of king Suddohana of the Sakya warrior tribe. His father, king Suddhodana, afforded him every luxury. Food,drink,women, and other stuff associated with luxury. After discovering the sick man outside of the royal palace, the Buddha had questioned the nature of life,birth,death, and decay. Gautama then sought answers beyond the royal palace. The main goal was seeking an answer to life's suffering and the enlightenment that follows ~ The basic idea was to get the underpinning and underlying "philosophy" as to what sort of things were associated and concerning with the Buddha. I think that is how the layman disciples developed their practice. The main challenge present here was interpreting and translating the Buddha's life story into understandable terms related to Western society.
_username_

Re: Successful at Buddhism?...

Postby lobster » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:59 am

Does meditation offer any success?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_meditation
lobster

Return to Exploring Buddhism