Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 6
Location: USA, East Coast
Hello all. I've been meditating daily (well almost, I've missed one or two days the past 5 weeks) and have really begin to appreciate it. But I've felt like I can do more in terms of practice beyond sitting meditation. As a beginner, which no affiliation to any particular school or tradition, can anyone suggest some ideas for me?


Thank you in advance
:namaste:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:29 am
Posts: 211
Try applying the five precepts.

_________________
The Great Way is not difficult
If only there is no picking or choosing
--- Xin Xin Ming

http://nondualism.org/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:40 pm
Posts: 39
Location: Rio de Janeiro/Brazil
Pyrrho wrote:
Hello all. I've been meditating daily (well almost, I've missed one or two days the past 5 weeks) and have really begin to appreciate it. But I've felt like I can do more in terms of practice beyond sitting meditation. As a beginner, which no affiliation to any particular school or tradition, can anyone suggest some ideas for me?


Thank you in advance
:namaste:

I'll give you some suggestions but the most important thing would be finding somewhere with a qualified master for you to practice.

Some suggestions:
http://en.chagdud.org/instructions-for-shamatha/
http://www.atiling.org/images/Meditation_on_4T.pdf
http://www.tibetantreasures.com/Padma_P ... ntary.html
http://www.tibetantreasures.com/No_Empo ... _Tara.html
http://www.tibetantreasures.com/Padma_P ... ctice.html

(these are Tibetan Buddhist resources, particularly of the Nyingma school, but are not sectarian at all, meaning you will be able to easily integrate them with practices in any of the major tibetan schools. chose these because they are the online resources in English I am most familiar with.)

_________________
--Karma Rigpe Wangchuk

"Meditation brings wisdom. Lack of meditation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what holds you back."
Shakyamuni


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:13 pm
Posts: 339
You can also chant or recite mantras with a rosary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fVRzgZit2M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yAM85yiz44
:namaste:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:31 am
Posts: 1782
Pyrrho wrote:
... and have really begin to appreciate it. But I've felt like I can do more in terms of practice beyond sitting meditation. As a beginner, which no affiliation to any particular school or tradition, can anyone suggest some ideas for me?

practice contentment with what is. Do not discard beginner's mind through affiliation or wanting more. :sage:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 6
Location: USA, East Coast
Matt J wrote:
Try applying the five precepts.

Very good advice, Matt J. I've been making some effort to work more ethical concerns in my everyday activities. Even cutting back on my meat consumption (yes, maybe hell has indeed frozen over, for how likely that would've seemed a couple of months ago :lol: )
etinin wrote:
I'll give you some suggestions but the most important thing would be finding somewhere with a qualified master for you to practice.

Some suggestions:
http://en.chagdud.org/instructions-for-shamatha/
http://www.atiling.org/images/Meditation_on_4T.pdf
http://www.tibetantreasures.com/Padma_P ... ntary.html
http://www.tibetantreasures.com/No_Empo ... _Tara.html
http://www.tibetantreasures.com/Padma_P ... ctice.html

(these are Tibetan Buddhist resources, particularly of the Nyingma school, but are not sectarian at all, meaning you will be able to easily integrate them with practices in any of the major tibetan schools. chose these because they are the online resources in English I am most familiar with.)

Thank you for the links! I appreciate them. I know in Tibetan Buddhism having a guru is very important for all kinds of practices. But I live in a more conservative town, where I have few Buddhist centers or temples near me, let alone Tibetan groups. Will lack of having access to a teacher make Tibetan Buddhism unavailable for me until my situation changes?

ground wrote:
practice contentment with what is. Do not discard beginner's mind through affiliation or wanting more. :sage:

That is a great point. I'm reading Trungpa Chogyam's 'Cutting through spiritual materialism' currently, and it's definitely an eye opener - and ego shatterer :mrgreen:

I thank you all for the replies so far :namaste:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 6
Location: USA, East Coast
Namgyal wrote:

I've been considering taking up mantras, but don't really know how to begin. Is there any sort of preliminary preparation before regularly chanting? Thanks for the videos!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 8:31 am
Posts: 1934
Location: Sydney AU
My advice is the KISS principle - keep it simple. Don't try anything too complicated. The very simplest form of being aware of mind and body is actually very exacting.

Make a good place, a meditation station, not too ornate, but dedicated to that purpose. Make a regular time and learn to sit for a good while. (My aim is to maintain the pose for 45 minutes, I've been at it for a long while, and that is still challenging.)

Contact with a teacher or teaching centre is definitely beneficial but I have been mainly self-taught. I have had contact with teachers at key times, and also have a sangha group, which helps. And then just stay with it.

:anjali:

_________________
Learn to do good, refrain from evil, purify the mind ~ this is the teaching of the Buddhas


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:16 am
Posts: 13
Regarding mantras, I have been starting a simple metta (loving-kindness) practice . . . with my usual failure to focus/lack of discipline, but I am trying, and when I can settle to it I actually find it comes far more naturally to me than meditating.

This is the guide I'm following: http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/scrn_metta.pdf

I can't remember who linked it to me originally, so a general "thank you" to the wonderful helpful people on the internet :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:38 am
Posts: 556
Feathers wrote:
Regarding mantras, I have been starting a simple metta (loving-kindness) practice . . . with my usual failure to focus/lack of discipline, but I am trying, and when I can settle to it I actually find it comes far more naturally to me than meditating.

This is the guide I'm following: http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/scrn_metta.pdf

I can't remember who linked it to me originally, so a general "thank you" to the wonderful helpful people on the internet :-)


This sounds great. Exactly what I would have recommended, and how I started. Start with meditation, get a feel for it, and do it for a while until you enjoy it and benefit from it. You've done that.
Then find one teaching that appeals to you/speaks to you, and put it into practice. Make an effort to remember it and put it into practice during your daily activities, too. Buddhism is a practice, 24/7.
I don't agree with the idea that you should find a master right away or make any commitment to one particular sangha. I do agree with pretty everything jeeprs said, though; the teacher and sangha are both indispensable. Just take your time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:40 pm
Posts: 39
Location: Rio de Janeiro/Brazil
Pyrrho wrote:
Matt J wrote:
Try applying the five precepts.

Very good advice, Matt J. I've been making some effort to work more ethical concerns in my everyday activities. Even cutting back on my meat consumption (yes, maybe hell has indeed frozen over, for how likely that would've seemed a couple of months ago :lol: )
etinin wrote:
I'll give you some suggestions but the most important thing would be finding somewhere with a qualified master for you to practice.

Some suggestions:
http://en.chagdud.org/instructions-for-shamatha/
http://www.atiling.org/images/Meditation_on_4T.pdf
http://www.tibetantreasures.com/Padma_P ... ntary.html
http://www.tibetantreasures.com/No_Empo ... _Tara.html
http://www.tibetantreasures.com/Padma_P ... ctice.html

(these are Tibetan Buddhist resources, particularly of the Nyingma school, but are not sectarian at all, meaning you will be able to easily integrate them with practices in any of the major tibetan schools. chose these because they are the online resources in English I am most familiar with.)

Thank you for the links! I appreciate them. I know in Tibetan Buddhism having a guru is very important for all kinds of practices. But I live in a more conservative town, where I have few Buddhist centers or temples near me, let alone Tibetan groups. Will lack of having access to a teacher make Tibetan Buddhism unavailable for me until my situation changes?

ground wrote:
practice contentment with what is. Do not discard beginner's mind through affiliation or wanting more. :sage:

That is a great point. I'm reading Trungpa Chogyam's 'Cutting through spiritual materialism' currently, and it's definitely an eye opener - and ego shatterer :mrgreen:

I thank you all for the replies so far :namaste:

Don't worry too much about that. The resources I linked require no empowerment or guidance from a guru. The concise Red Tara sadhana can be easily practiced if you follow the commentary book, for example. You should try to visit a lama and get teachings/empowerments when you can but it's definitely not required.

_________________
--Karma Rigpe Wangchuk

"Meditation brings wisdom. Lack of meditation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what holds you back."
Shakyamuni


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:06 pm
Posts: 952
Consolidate your meditation practice by starting over again.
http://aromeditation.org/

get to the first gate
http://www.liberationunleashed.com/

:yinyang:

_________________
YinYana Buddhism


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 6
Location: USA, East Coast
Wow, thank you all for the links and tips! I truly appreciate all of them :twothumbsup:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group