Vegetarianism (inspired by the warrior thread)

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Vegetarianism (inspired by the warrior thread)

Postby Asoka1944 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi,
The warrior thread addles my brain, in large part because I am a bear of very little brain. There is so much food for thought in that thread, it will take me days to read it carefully enough to respond with any degree of intelligence. I sense the pushing of many Buddhist buttons. Having said all that, my current thoughts are with the first precept regarding killing as it relates to not eating meat. I realize that many monks representing different branches of Buddhism eat meat. Eating whatever lands in the bowl might be the greater good, the greater kindness. I also realize that there are places where meat eating is necessary to survival since vegetable matter is scarce. Here I speak only of and for myself. My recent decision to give up meat (here in New York City where every kind of non-meat and meat product is readily available), is based on the simple idea that no animal should have to die in order to please my pallet; this since I can live quite healthily without meat. Since it is not part of my belief system that God gave me dominion over anything, I feel this is the right decision for me. I bring it up here, because, as revealed in the warrior discussion, many valid opinions exist side-by side, perhaps not always happily. Trying to live within the Buddha Dharma as best I can, giving serious thought to, and ultimately trying to feel comfortable with, the decisions I make, and trying to refrain from judging the decisions of others, I muddle and plod along the path. Would be interesting to hear how others have addressed this issue.
May all beings be well and happy.
Michael (Buddharuci)
Asoka1944

Re: Vegetarianism (inspired by the warrior thread)

Postby Sherab Dorje » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:42 pm

Refer to this thread for 100 pages of discussion on the issue.
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Return to Exploring Buddhism