YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

thoughts on compassion - Dhamma Wheel

thoughts on compassion

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
befriend

thoughts on compassion

Postby befriend » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:03 pm

if part of our practice is to make others happy, do noble things to make there minds happy. doesnt that break our hearts when we do a noble thing, and it doesnt make them happy? not meaning the deed was deluded. it was a good deed, but the recipients feeling about it did not lift up there hearts and minds as we so hoped the deed would. thanks, metta, befriend
nothing can destroy a man who has lived a pure life

LazyOne

Re: thoughts on compassion

Postby LazyOne » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:31 pm

I know what you mean but I believe we are supposed to do good deeds for the sake of doing good deeds.

Sarva

Postby Sarva » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:33 pm

Hi Befriend
You are right, this is one of the challenges of compassion. Although maybe far from orthodox I have recently thought that it is easier to think that the results of my actions are to please the Dharma rather than for the people around me. It is still compassion for people, but I find I am less open to expectation or disappointment based on people's reactions. For example, simple tasks like cooking, I cook not (only) for my family but dedicate my actions to the Dharma.

If anyone knows if this is already a right view or an idea in Theravada on dedication one's actions to another, please let me know as I have not come across it yet.

Metta.
Last edited by Sarva on Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Both formerly & now, it is only stress that I describe, and the cessation of stress.” — SN 22:86

santa100

Postby santa100 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:48 pm

Ven. Thanissaro's wonderful translation of the Dana Sutta might help with the right approach to giving: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Sarva

Postby Sarva » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:59 pm

“Both formerly & now, it is only stress that I describe, and the cessation of stress.” — SN 22:86

John C. Kimbrough

Postby John C. Kimbrough » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:05 pm

I do not think about making other people happy but think about making them wiser....As we attain wisdom we have/feel more joy....

santa100

Postby santa100 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:02 pm

Right, ornament represents the beauty of the mind when giving without any expectation of return or any kind of attachment. Only when giving without attachment to the ego, the mind is beautiful, supported, and will bear great fruits and great benefits..

ground

Postby ground » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:05 am

There should not be ill will. Making others happy or wise may be a Mahayana thought.

Kind regards

bodom

Postby bodom » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:45 am

To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

Lazy_eye

Postby Lazy_eye » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:51 am

ground

Postby ground » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:58 am

ground

Postby ground » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:10 am

Mudita is a nice trait and where there is mudita envy and covetousness are absent. But if there is addiction to perceptions that may cause mudita then there is a problem.

Kind regards

cooran

Postby cooran » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:32 am

Hello all,

When we are using terms like ‘’compassion’ ’or ‘’metta’’ - it is worth considering deeply the ‘near’ and ‘far’ enemies of the Brahmaviharas:

Four Brahma-viharas (Highest Attitudes/Emotions) Heavenly or sublime abodes (best home).

A Near enemy is a quality that can masquerade as the original, but is not the original. A Far enemy is the opposite quality.

1. Lovingkindness, good-will (metta): Near enemy – attachment; far enemy – hatred
2. Compassion (karuna): Near enemy – pity; far enemy – cruelty
3. Sympathetic joy, Appreciation (mudita), joy at the good fortune of others: Near enemy – comparison,hypocrisy, insincerity, joy for others but tinged with identification (my team, my child); far enemy – envy
4. Equanimity (upekkha): Near enemy – indifference; far enemy – anxiety, greed

http://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/ ... mma-lists/

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

befriend

Postby befriend » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:59 am

lets try to stay on topic. i find it strange one does not keep the thought of anothers welfare in there mind while performing a wholesome deed that will potentially benefit the recipienct. it seems like one would do a good deed for two reasons, because it helps others, alleviate theres suffering, and because it is an ornament for the mind.
nothing can destroy a man who has lived a pure life

reflection

Postby reflection » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:23 pm

There are two things happening here:

The intention to help others and make them happy, which is skillful.
The desire to have a certain outcome, which is not skillful.

We can help others, but sometimes our help is not appreciated, or just doesn't come across. Even simply smiling to someone; some will think is offending, or you are strange. But you can't change peoples reactions and so you should not expect any specific response.

There will have been people who even got put of by the Buddha and his ideas. They simply couldn't accept them, for example. The Buddha would not have taken it personally. He couldn't help them, but at least he tried.

Zom

Postby Zom » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:40 pm

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”