Advaitin vs. Buddhist takes on awareness/reality

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
Karma Dorje

Re: Advaitin vs. Buddhist takes on awareness/reality

Postby Karma Dorje » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:31 am

"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava

greentara

Postby greentara » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:36 am

I suspect we're too pedantic. fiddling at the edges. Really there are two camps and sometimes they overlap. The primary religious choices one sees is between 'Jerusalem and Benares'. This is the way of describing the choice between Biblical or Eastern spirituality.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:56 am

"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Matt J

Postby Matt J » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:11 pm

The Great Way is not difficult
If only there is no picking or choosing
--- Xin Xin Ming

greentara

Postby greentara » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:47 pm

matt j, Ajahn Sumedho has always been inspirational. A few years ago a friend of mine saw him at Ramana Maharshi's ashram in South India. He asked Sumedho "What are you doing here?" He replied calmly "No real difference."
Of course Ajahn Sumedho is a monk with great insight and understanding.

Simon E.

Postby Simon E. » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:03 pm

" My heart's in the Highlands
my heart is not here.
My heart's in the Highlands
chasing the deer."

Robert V.C. Burns.

Karma Dorje

Postby Karma Dorje » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:20 pm

"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava

Simon E.

Postby Simon E. » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:46 pm

I said "for a number of reasons.." But as you have raised doctrinal matters lets start there.
I used to attend Luang Por Sumedho's Sunday afternoon public discourses frequently at both Chithurst and later at Amravati.
During the Q and A sessions that followed the talks the relationship between the Dharma of the Buddha and Vedanta was a regular topic.
Luang Por was always very precise in distinguishing between the end outcomes of Vedanta and the end outcomes in Buddhadharma. While advocating mutual respect between the two traditions.

On another point, that of history, my wife once asked him if he had been to Sarnath and he replied that he had, but added that he had visited India only once, to Sarnath and Lumbini, but had not been to Bodh Gaya.
I can of course ask Ajahn Amaro next time I see him.
Lung Por Sumedho having gone to a small village in Thailand to live out his retirement.

:namaste:
" My heart's in the Highlands
my heart is not here.
My heart's in the Highlands
chasing the deer."

Robert V.C. Burns.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:04 pm

Attachments
woof-woof.jpg
woof-woof.jpg (6.28 KiB) Viewed 1837 times

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

Karma Dorje

Postby Karma Dorje » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:17 pm

-Padmasambhava

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:34 pm

Karma Dorje

Postby Karma Dorje » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:28 pm

-Padmasambhava

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:43 pm

Lotus_Bitch

Postby Lotus_Bitch » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:48 pm

Many meditators know how to meditate,
But only a few know how to dismantle [mental clinging].
- Je Gyare

Karma Dorje

Postby Karma Dorje » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:06 pm

-Padmasambhava

Lotus_Bitch

Postby Lotus_Bitch » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:23 pm

Many meditators know how to meditate,
But only a few know how to dismantle [mental clinging].
- Je Gyare

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:32 pm

It's not 'tearing each others heads off'. In the context of a spiritually-oriented culture there was a underlying consensus that there was a 'highest good' and that there was a way to realise it. There were deep differences about what it consisted of, how to attain it, and so on. But the modern context is completely different, because in the mainstream culture in which the debate is now conducted, there is no concept of 'highest good' or spiritual liberation or anything of the kind. In this context, the differences between the two traditions are perhaps less significant than the fact that they share this basic orientation. They are both deeply spiritual traditions, probably the most profound spiritual lineages in the world. This doesn't say they are the same or teach the same ideas, as they don't. It is just a perspective on understanding the similarities and differences, taking into account the context in which they are being compared. That perspective would be different to the viewpoint of a Buddhist whose task it is to demonstrate the superiority of the Buddhist view, and the weaknesses of the opposing view.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities; in the expert's mind there are few ~ Suzuki-roshi

greentara

Postby greentara » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:46 am

I wasn't discussing Vedanta as such but specifically Advaita 'My understanding of the siddhanta (final, highest position) of Advaita Vedanta is presented as ajativada, the doctrine that nothing has ever been born, will die, has happened). However, even this perspective is but an approximation to the truth, a teaching with which Ramana is in complete agreement. Gaudapada said, “Ajati is meaningful only so long as jati (birth) carries meaning. The absolute truth is that no word can designate or describe the Self.” If that is accepted, then where is the question of a jnani or even an ajani being reborn? No one and nothing has ever been born.
It is only when one acknowledges and believes that something has been born, will the question arise about rebirth'
Grimes

monktastic

Postby monktastic » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:59 am

This undistracted state of ordinary mind
Is the meditation.
One will understand it in due course.

--Gampopa

greentara

Postby greentara » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:19 am

Simon E, I'm surprised that you're surprised. Ajahn Sumedho made a brief visit to the ashram. I know the peron in question very well so I can assure you Sumedho was in Tiruvannamalai.
Ramana Maharshi's love for animals is legendary. He would not allow them to be served the remenants, the dregs of the meal. They had to be fed what everyone else was eating, there was no high or low or more deserving.
"One consciousness, equally distributed everywhere. You through delusion give it unequal distribution. No distribution, no everywhere."

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”