A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: ahimsa and pest control
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:15 am 
Global Moderator

I live semi-rurally, was wondering how others handle things like wasps nests and mouse infestations. So far i've been lucky and been able to let the wasps nests just stay as they were far from the door, and from my kids.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:20 am 

There was a topic not too long ago about this.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:29 pm 

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
I live semi-rurally, was wondering how others handle things like wasps nests and mouse infestations. So far i've been lucky and been able to let the wasps nests just stay as they were far from the door, and from my kids.

I am a firm believer in letting nature "just be" and trying to coexist peacefully. We have mice in our house, you can try to seal up their entrance, but they are sneaky little buggers and this will most likely be unsuccesful. I found that by being really diligent with cleaning up food their numbers have almost completley diminished, we have a dog (a really big mouse) and they go after his food at night, so its very difficult to completley remove their food source. Compared to the mess the dog and the kids make the mice are perfect guests. :smile:

As for the wasps, they could hurt small children so they must relocate, ask them nicely to move ,if they don't, let them know that you will have to spray them if they don't. Tell them that this is not what you want to do but they are leaving you no other choice. Give them a few days to decide and then carry out your business of removing them, but do it in a peaceful frame of mind, with the hope that most will get the message and move on unharmed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:07 pm 
Former staff member

lowlydog wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:

I am a firm believer in letting nature "just be" and trying to coexist peacefully. We have mice in our house, you can try to seal up their entrance, but they are sneaky little buggers and this will most likely be unsuccesful. I found that by being really diligent with cleaning up food their numbers have almost completley diminished, we have a dog (a really big mouse) and they go after his food at night, so its very difficult to completley remove their food source. Compared to the mess the dog and the kids make the mice are perfect guests. :smile:

As for the wasps, they could hurt small children so they must relocate, ask them nicely to move ,if they don't, let them know that you will have to spray them if they don't. Tell them that this is not what you want to do but they are leaving you no other choice. Give them a few days to decide and then carry out your business of removing them, but do it in a peaceful frame of mind, with the hope that most will get the message and move on unharmed.

Actually I know a fearless dharma friend who just grabs wasp nests with his gloved hand to move them. I would not recommend this. But if you got the proper beekeeper gear you could do it risk free. To avoid the terrible karma of intentional killing, i'd say it'd be worth the expense. . .