Questions on three statements

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Questions on three statements

Postby mrbambocha » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:36 pm

nothing in your outer world will ever make you happy, satisfied or fulfilled. Happiness can only come from the inside.

Why cant I find happiness in the outer world? If I cant, whats the point of doing anything? Whats the point of staying in society? Then one should move to the forest and wait to die since nothing in the outer world can make him happy anyways.

There is no problem, never was, and never will be. Release your struggle, let go of your mind, throw away your concerns, and relax into the world.
How can there be no problems? If there is no problems, then whats the point of working, staying healthy and be a good person? Then one should not work and only overeat and rape since there is no problems.

Events may create physical pain but they do not in themselves create suffering. Resistance creates suffering. Stress happens when your mind resists what is.
What the solutions? Can one control the mind under physical pain to not react?
mrbambocha

Re: Questions on three statements

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:30 pm

Knowing the context in which these statements were made would be very helpful.

1.The first statement, as it stands, is partly true and partly false.
Lots of things can make a person feel happy.
But since things in the "outer world" are composites, they are thus temporary,
as is our relationship to them.
So, any happiness they bring will also be temporary.

2.There are problems that arise in one's life
but when one has a correct view of things,
the fact that problems come and go
is not a problem.

3. Ultimately, we have no (or very little) control over events that occur.
The only thing we really have control over is the mind,
and how we respond to those events.
A metaphor often given is this:
The world is full of sharp rocks. (everywhere you go there are difficulties)
You cannot cover the whole earth with leather,
but you can cover your feet with leather (wear shoes)
and achieve the same effect.
So, instead of trying to change everything that you find unpleasant,
work with your own mind.

Yes, it is possible to control one's mind to such an extent that you do not feel pain
Everybody cannot do this to the same degree, and it takes some practice.
For example, with some training, one can visualize that the pain they feel
is the suffering of all beings, and that they are taking that suffering upon themselves.
You would think this would only make the pain worse,
but in fact, just the opposite.
Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Questions on three statements

Postby Karma Dondrup Tashi » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:53 pm

mrbambocha wrote:Why cant I find happiness in the outer world?

You can. Compassion will make you happy.

mrbambocha wrote:How can there be no problems? If there is no problems, then whats the point of working, staying healthy and be a good person? Then one should not work and only overeat and rape since there is no problems.

On the ultimate level there are no problems but I'd prefer to try to realize that from the comfort of my own nice living room than on a hospital bed with a broken leg. Some dreams make it easier to wake from sleep than others. Karma yoga and shamatha are about trying to calm the dream. Only then can we begin vipashyana to try to become lucid dreamers.

mrbambocha wrote:What the solutions? Can one control the mind under physical pain to not react?

I don't know if "control" is the right word, but yes I think a Buddha with a fork in her hand would experience pain happening in space but would not suffer.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Return to Exploring Buddhism