Can a deity grant you a boon?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Can a deity grant you a boon?

Postby Red Faced Buddha » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:23 pm

Can a deity(referring to an enlightened being,not a deva.)grant you a boon?I heard Green Tara(or maybe White Tara,they're so many of them it's easy to mix them up :tongue: .)can grant you a boon,so does that mean all Buddhas and Bodhisattva can and/or will grant someone a boon?
A person once asked me why I would want to stop rebirth. "It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want to be reborn."
I replied. "Wanting to be reborn is like wanting to stay in a jail cell, when you have the chance to go free and experience the whole wide world. Does a convict, on being freed from his shabby, constricting, little cell, suddenly say "I really want to go back to jail and be put in a cell. It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want that?"
Red Faced Buddha

Re: Can a deity grant you a boon?

Postby lobster » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:03 am

In your and my current state, probably not. Faith and practice, then boons. :namaste:
lobster

Postby Yudron » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:41 pm

Red Faced Buddha wrote:Can a deity(referring to an enlightened being,not a deva.)grant you a boon?I heard Green Tara(or maybe White Tara,they're so many of them it's easy to mix them up :tongue: .)can grant you a boon,so does that mean all Buddhas and Bodhisattva can and/or will grant someone a boon?

If you have strong faith in a deity, yes.

That being said, wisdom deities are not entities living in some distant place.
Yudron

Postby duckfiasco » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:01 pm

To echo lobster, in our normal state, likely not. Our habitual tendencies to externalize and cut ourselves off from the rest of the world creates the very barrier that impedes a lot of transformation and blessings.

At least, I think so ;)
Namu Amida Butsu
"When people of the Pure Land school chant Namu amida butsu, they are doing zazen with their mouths, and when we do zazen, we are performing Namu amida butsu with our whole body." - Kosho Uchiyama (Opening the Hand of Thought)
duckfiasco

Return to Exploring Buddhism