What is the difference between an Arhat and Bodhisattva?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Re: What is the difference between an Arhat and Bodhisattva?

Postby ram peswani » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:03 pm

[*]
Rakshasa wrote:It is common for Buddhists to often talk about Arhats in a disparaging tone while comparing them with the Bodhisattvas, almost like the Arhats are not only lower compared to the Bodhisattvas, they are in fact lower to average Buddhist lay disciples (humans) also. This is not a good thinking in all schools of Buddhism.

Arhats are superior to all the Devas, including the Brahmas, so they do deserve their own respect and veneration. In comparison to Bodhisattvas, Arhats are superior to even Bodhisattvas of the 8th Bhumi (will need to confirm this though).

In the end, Arhats attain Nirvana.

From Guatam Buddha's mouth in lotus sutra......
Arhats who do not accept bhoddisattva path are REJECTIONS. He expressed disappointment with those Arhats.
Guatam Buddha tried to teach laymen for 40 years to reach the fruitation of Arhantship, so that they become capable of becoming bhoddisattvas. Only 1200 from 5000 arhats accepted Bhoddisatva path.

He clearly said that an Arhat is a very important stage and extremely necessary for further path of Bhoddisattva.
ram peswani

Postby Namgyal » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:24 pm

What was the old Indian saying 'externally Hinayana, internally Mahayana, secretly Vajrayana'? So how do you know whether or not a Theravada monk is practising the bodhisattvayana? The core teachings are in all forms of Buddhism because Buddha did not teach an inferior vehicle, only one vehicle (Ekayana). So who can say which is superior over another?; they are just different titles of reverence, for unimaginably advanced beings.
:namaste: R.
Namgyal

Postby Red Faced Buddha » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:37 pm

Raksha wrote:What was the old Indian saying 'externally Hinayana, internally Mahayana, secretly Vajrayana'? So how do you know whether or not a Theravada monk is practising the bodhisattvayana? The core teachings are in all forms of Buddhism because Buddha did not teach an inferior vehicle, only one vehicle (Ekayana). So who can say which is superior over another?; they are just different titles of reverence, for unimaginably advanced beings.
:namaste: R.

This is probably the best answer I got out of this.
A person once asked me why I would want to stop rebirth. "It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want to be reborn."
I replied. "Wanting to be reborn is like wanting to stay in a jail cell, when you have the chance to go free and experience the whole wide world. Does a convict, on being freed from his shabby, constricting, little cell, suddenly say "I really want to go back to jail and be put in a cell. It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want that?"
Red Faced Buddha

Postby Nighthawk » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:05 pm

deepbluehum wrote:
Yes, almost. 16th Bhumi is also non-abiding.

How can it be both abiding and non abiding? :rolleye:
Nighthawk

Previous

Return to Exploring Buddhism