Body scan

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Music

Body scan

Post by Music »

In vipasana, the body scan has to proceed in a certain order, head to toe. Is that necessary, or can we just focus wherever the sensation occurs? Could we just sit down and wait for sensations to occur, after which we observe them?
lobster

Re: Body scan

Post by lobster »

Think of the scan as a warm up.
I tend to do a scan, which helps to become aware of which areas need further awareness/observation. :meditate:
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Actually I was taught to do it toe-to-head!

But it doesn't matter so long as the scan covers all the bits. You'll want to be thorough and maybe even try to include the brain and internal organs.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Music

Post by Music »

catmoon wrote:Actually I was taught to do it toe-to-head!

But it doesn't matter so long as the scan covers all the bits. You'll want to be thorough and maybe even try to include the brain and internal organs.
My aim is to experience what vipasana students call dissolution of body, namely experiencing the body not as something solid but as a series of vibrations. What method would work best?
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

It doesn't have to be head to toe, it can be any order as long as every part of the body is included. It is important to include every part, even if at first there appears to be no sensation. If you only focus on the parts of the body where you feel sensation, you will not develop awareness of the other parts. For example, especially in the beginning, you will find parts of the body where you cannot find any sensation at all - but as you put attention to it, sensation will arise.
Music

Post by Music »

dakini_boi wrote:It doesn't have to be head to toe, it can be any order as long as every part of the body is included. It is important to include every part, even if at first there appears to be no sensation. If you only focus on the parts of the body where you feel sensation, you will not develop awareness of the other parts. For example, especially in the beginning, you will find parts of the body where you cannot find any sensation at all - but as you put attention to it, sensation will arise.

How long do I continue this?
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

As long as you feel like it, or as long as you are able.

I recommend dhamma.org to find a retreat near you where you can learn the technique properly.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Music wrote:
catmoon wrote:Actually I was taught to do it toe-to-head!

My aim is to experience what vipasana students call dissolution of body, namely experiencing the body not as something solid but as a series of vibrations. What method would work best?
I'm afraid this question is a bit beyond me. Time to track down a proper teacher.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”