Why did you choose Buddhism?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Re: Why did you choose Buddhism?

Postby hop.pala » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:31 am

mrbambocha wrote:Hi.
I would love to hear why you made your choice for Buddhism, to get some perspective.

Why did you choose Buddhism?
Why do you think it is the right path?

Because i have problem in my private life and help an buddha.Buddha say for my :"Jesus can not help "-say Buddha.And really.I was ateist and i go buddhist as i meet Buddha.I am not Buddha beliver,i am knover of Buddha admired shiddis.Buddha is an god,i know it,and not belive it ,i know that Buddha is god.
hop.pala

Postby tellyontellyon » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:27 pm

In my twenties I used to go out drinking quite a lot. One evening I hit this guy who I thought was going to hit me. I had an object in my hand and he suffered a fractured skull and went into a coma.
He was going to die and I was going to be charged with murder.... however, he woke up five days later.
when it eventually came to court I found out that he had suffered brain damage, he developed epilepsy and lost some mobility and his speech was affected.

I went to prison and found it very difficult. But while there I found a small orange book by Ajahn Sumedo. I didn't understand it that well, but I tried to do some sort of meditation in order to feel a bit less stressed as I felt I was loosing my mind. Fear, guilt, confusion, disorientation and paranoia got the better of me.
The story of how the monk was able to change his point of view gave me hope and helped me to hang on.

After I got out of prison I continued to find out more and got involved in psychotherapy and eventually became a psychotherapist myself. These days I follow a Karma Kagyu teacher.
“Don't you know that a midnight hour comes when everyone has to take off his mask? Do you think life always lets itself be trifled with? Do you think you can sneak off a little before midnight to escape this?”
― Søren Kierkegaard
tellyontellyon

Postby Punya » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:51 am

Not actually within the keeping of this thread but what an extraordinary story telly. One that sadly is being increasingly repeated in alcohol fuelled societies. My heart goes out to the mostly young men on both sides (and their families), who are involved. I'm glad you are finding ways to move on. :focus:
Unless the inner forces of negative emotions are conquered
Strife with outer enemies will never end.
~Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Punya

Postby tellyontellyon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:19 am

Punya wrote:Not actually within the keeping of this thread.... :focus:

Sorry if I missed the point of the thread :emb: ... I'll have another go at answering your original question:

I chose Buddhism: partly because of a chance discovery of a book that didn't seem to fit in with all the other books that were around it. It appealed to me because I was in a difficult place in my life at the time and clutching for something that would help. The book described something practical that I could do to help me to cope and to calm down. The story of the monk in the book was comforting.

I thought it was the right path because: my experience of reading and trying to practice what was in that book and other Buddhist books I later came across, and also the teachers I have met have helped me and convinced me that Buddhism was the right path for me.
“Don't you know that a midnight hour comes when everyone has to take off his mask? Do you think life always lets itself be trifled with? Do you think you can sneak off a little before midnight to escape this?”
― Søren Kierkegaard
tellyontellyon

Postby Punya » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:40 am

Punya wrote:Not actually within the keeping of this thread but what an extraordinary story telly. One that sadly is being increasingly repeated in alcohol fuelled societies. My heart goes out to the mostly young men on both sides (and their families), who are involved. I'm glad you are finding ways to move on. :focus:

I'm very sorry telly. I meant that it wasn't in keeping with the thread for me to comment. It was sloppy of me to not make this clear. You can ask the moderators to delete your second post if you like.
Unless the inner forces of negative emotions are conquered
Strife with outer enemies will never end.
~Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Punya

Postby tellyontellyon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:06 am

[quote="Punya.[/quote]

Hiya... No worries, I misunderstand things easily! :rolleye:

No need to delete anything... we can just 'let it go' :smile:

And thanks for your kind words. I've seen some great stuff on the net about the benefit of introducing Buddhism into prisons. It is so much better to treat prisoners with humanity, and send them back into society in a more healthy state of mind than when they first went in. That helps everybody, not just the ex. convict.

The examples of figures like Milarepa, and also the story of Anguilamala are such great inspiration:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angulimala

Anyway, as you said... :focus:
― Søren Kierkegaard
tellyontellyon

Postby Sonrisa » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:33 am

I came again to Buddhism after deciding that I no longer wished to be a slave to the impulses of my own anger; because some person insulted me. Closely examining the Four Noble Truths, I found out that this clinging anger and trying to get back at those who hurt me IS a form of desire and thus an attachment that leads me to extreme suffering. Sometimes, you just have to say: enough is enough! I learned that regardless of the outside world and what others are doing, happiness is always in my heart and to look for it in there always. Now, I try my best not to be moved by others' insults because I cannot control others, only I can control myself and my internal responses. I know too well the pain of burning anger and make an effort to have compassion to those who come at me with admonishing remarks. Connecting with them in knowing the pain, helps me to have compassion toward them because I've been through it many times. It's not our fault others attempt to make us feel bad about ourselves just so they can feel better about themselves; when we do this, we are speaking from a source of pain. I never knew how to observe myself and I was amazed about what we can find out when we do.

Plus, the symbolism in the Buddhadharma is VERY rich. By looking at Buddha and Bodhisattva statues, I focused their qualities (compassion, wisdom, skillful means) and turned them inward, in that those same qualities of enlightened beings are also available within me too...everyone as a matter of fact!
Namo Amitabha
Namo Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva
Namo Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva

May I continue to practice loving-kindness and compassion for sentient beings. May my friends and loved ones be free from suffering. May those who have hurt me also be free from suffering.

Hatred is like throwing cow dung at someone else. You get dirty first before throwing it to someone else.
Sonrisa

Postby reddust » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:11 am

Sonrisa wrote:I came again to Buddhism after deciding that I no longer wished to be a slave to the impulses of my own anger; because some person insulted me. Closely examining the Four Noble Truths, I found out that this clinging anger and trying to get back at those who hurt me IS a form of desire and thus an attachment that leads me to extreme suffering.

That's why I went and found a Buddhist teacher! I figured out I was causing all my sufferings and I needed someone to help me figure out how to let go of my suffering. Welcome to the Dharmawheel :namaste:
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
reddust

Previous

Return to Exploring Buddhism