Online Zen Buddhist Temple

Online Zen Buddhist Temple

Postby tracefleeman » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:59 pm

I'm coding an online Zen Buddhist temple for people (like me) who don't have a temple near them. But I'm far (VERY far) from enlightenment, and I need some help running it. I'm going to register the domain in a few hours, and as we speak i'm uploading all the files.

Would anyone like to help us here? We could really use a hand :smile: .
tracefleeman

Re: Online Zen Buddhist Temple

Postby Mr. G » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:42 pm

I don't understand. What will the function of this online Zen Buddhist temple be?
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Jikan » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:22 am

There have been attempts at such things as online zendos in the past. Unfortunately, history doesn't offer an example of a successful one (that is, one that lives up to the name and really functions as a place in which one can learn and practice Buddhism).

Unless someone knows of one that I do not...?
Need help getting on retreat? Want to support others in practice? Pay the Dana for Dharma forum a visit...

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Blue Garuda » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:19 am

This is not a recommendation, but to note the existence of one:

http://www.treeleaf.org/

http://www.treeleaf.org/teachers/

http://www.treeleaf.org/forum/

''Treeleaf Zendo was designed specifically as an online practice place for Zen practitioners who cannot easily commute to a Zen .''
Left
Blue Garuda

Postby Astus » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:26 pm

I don't know how you imagine an online Zen temple. What should be clear, is that a temple is a place of religious service. People go there to get something. Most of the time rituals. Even in a Zen temple. It can also be a place of worship, as it usually houses a buddha statue, sutras, and occasionally relics. Temples also have at least one priest to do the services. Question is then, are you a priest, or do you know one to serve in the online temple? Another function of temples is community life. The online form of community life is found in forums, chatrooms and networking sites. Are you planning to have that too?
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

"Neither cultivation nor seated meditation — this is the pure Chan of Tathagata."
(Mazu Daoyi, X1321p3b23; tr. Jinhua Jia)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T2076p461b24-26)
Astus
Former staff member

Postby shel » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:03 pm

I'm willing to help. I could easily do a site like treeleaf. In fact it would be easy to improve on that model with custom design, rather than lame templates, and better functionality. Plus it could be fully developed. :tongue: And as for teachers, just about anyone would be an improvement. I don't think that would be a problem at all.

PM if you're interested, and if not, good luck. :smile:
shel

Postby Wesley1982 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:13 am

I tried to register but why is it requesting parent or guardian signatures in the registration process? . .
Wesley1982

Postby SonofRage » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:25 pm

Wesley1982 wrote:I tried to register but why is it requesting parent or guardian signatures in the registration process? . .

Pay closer attention to the registration process. You likely put that your birth date was in 1999 and you are 12 year old or something.

-Sam
SonofRage

Return to Zen