Shobogenzo & Commentary

mint

Shobogenzo & Commentary

Post by mint »

Looking for the best English translation of the Shobogenzo and the best commentary.
Astus
Former staff member

Re: Shobogenzo & Commentary

Post by Astus »

I think those translations on the Soto Zen Text Project page are the best in English. (However, for some reason the website seems to be hidden in the last few weeks.)
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

i have ''moon in a dewdrop'' which contains popular excerpts from the shobogenzo. not too dry. prefer the shinji shobogenzo of koans, purportedly compiled by Dogen. a fun read.

best wishes, Tom.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

This translation from BDK is well-respected. There are four digital volumes and also four hardcover books available. The digital PDF version is free, the books are $30 each.

http://www.bdkamerica.org/default.aspx?MPID=81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Sara H

Post by Sara H »

[OP Edit: Cleared: Browser duplicate post]
Last edited by Sara H on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Observing your mind is a good idea.
Sara H

Post by Sara H »

I love Dogen.
I've always found him to have a great sense of humor as well as being deeply insightful.

Rev. Hubert Nearman (Dr. Mark. J. Nearman) of Shasta Abbey spent many years translating the Shōbōgenzō, with great care.

Shasta Abbey offer's it for free as a PDF download, or as individual chapters, also available for PDF download.

For a good commentary of many of the chapters, I recommend the Roar of the Tigress; The Oral Teachings of Reverend Master Jiyu-Kennett: Western Woman and Zen Master,Volume Two "Zen for Spiritual Adults; Lectures Inspired by the Shobogenzo by Ehei Dogen"

Both are available for free PDF download.

http://www.shastaabbey.org/teachings-publications.html

You can also find hard copy's of The Roar of the Tigress Volume II online on various online retailers, as well as an earlier hard copy of volume 1 of the Shōbōgenzō translated Rev. Nearman.

I hope you enjoy,
In gasshō,
Sara H
Observing your mind is a good idea.

Return to “Zen”