Untraditional zazen?

Re: Untraditional zazen?

Postby ZenChai » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:23 pm

I am very grateful for all the thoughtful answers and suggestions I have received :anjali:
I have to say I was impressed by Matt J's blog link. It put a few things in perspective for me.
Again thank you kirtu, Jikan and duckfiasco. All of your comments have been especially helpful.
I realize I got so caught up in form rather then substance and focused on details rather then just being.

Zen can be very difficult do decipher depending on point of view, even from within the tradition itself.
There are many teachers who speak of dhyana and samadhi, on techniques and focus. Language all Buddhists understand and yet still others seem so rogue speaking of just being, just sitting as practice and no further comment.
And it has to be said that unbalanced teachers can become too cryptic. My own teacher before I moved told me to count the breath. Even with my frustrations he only suggested this and spinned these prepacked zen anecdotes. So for years I'v been feeling a failure.
Now with your helpful comments and tips I feel good about my practice. I can't say if I'm attaining more but I do relax, doing the practice without straining effort to become something. Just sitting, being, breathing.

Gassho
ZenChai

Postby ovi » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:00 pm

One thing that stops me from meditating is starting to meditate and then think: Am I doing this right? Is this zazen? Is this mahamudra? Is this anapanasati? Well, if I haven't figured out what this is, I might as well pick something to meditate and actually do it.
ovi

Postby Wayfarer » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:45 am

The way Zazen is taught, the right way is simply to assume the posture and sit in it. That is explained in books such as Zen Mind Beginner's Mind by Suzuki Roshi or The Art of Just Sitting: Essential Writings on the Zen Practice of Shikantaza by Daido Loori Roshi. So if you simply do that, there is no question of 'doing it right or wrong'.
Learn to do good, refrain from evil, purify the mind ~ this is the teaching of the Buddhas
Wayfarer

Previous

Return to Zen