Bodhidharma statements on invoke the buddha ?

Re: Bodhidharma statements on invoke the buddha ?

Postby Lotus_Bitch » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:06 am

garudha wrote:Guidance which might indoctrinate others, into the belief that there's a "mythical" correct way to approach intention, would be false and misleading. I think such talk is very dangerous and might hinder any possible arising of a very pure intention because the student had been conditioned to hold mistaken views about intention.

If that's true then virtually everyone from the Buddha, on down to present day practitioners, are conditioned into cultivating a mistaken view of 'right intention' in the noble eightfold path.

What I really want to say to the OP is; there's not really any right way to do anything. We all have the ability to awaken --and without books or teachings. Why? Because the truth lies within and was never lost.

This must mean the entirety of the noble eightfold path is irrelevant, because the means it prescribes for the cessation of ignorance, aggression, and craving is: right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration.
Many meditators know how to meditate,
But only a few know how to dismantle [mental clinging].
- Je Gyare
Lotus_Bitch

Postby Will » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:13 am

The Bitch is correct, Garudha is full of it.
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby garudha » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:36 pm

Lotus_Bitch wrote:
garudha wrote:Guidance which might indoctrinate others, into the belief that there's a "mythical" correct way to approach intention, would be false and misleading. I think such talk is very dangerous and might hinder any possible arising of a very pure intention because the student had been conditioned to hold mistaken views about intention.

If that's true then virtually everyone from the Buddha, on down to present day practitioners, are conditioned into cultivating a mistaken view of 'right intention' in the noble eightfold path.

What I really want to say to the OP is; there's not really any right way to do anything. We all have the ability to awaken --and without books or teachings. Why? Because the truth lies within and was never lost.

This must mean the entirety of the noble eightfold path is irrelevant, because the means it prescribes for the cessation of ignorance, aggression, and craving is: right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration.

You completely miss the point I'm trying to make.

The point is that we should find our own right view, not rely or be influenced by others, about what exactly is right intention. If we didn't innately have the capacity to feel or know right action; then do you really believe we'd be able to traverse the Noble Eightfold Path successfully? I mean; Do you really believe that we can simply take another person definition of morality and apply it to ourselves blindly? That's a complete joke to me.

On a very basic level; man is having a personal relationship with himself and therefore he must himself judge his own actions. The alternative is that there is a "god" who's judging our actions from a moral perspective.

I believe in a single purity that is universal and all sentient beings feel pain due to separation from this purity. Therefore. it's absolutely unnecessary, and it's contrived, to try and shape another person's definition that which they already are - naturally - (and) in attunement with.

To me it's already very upsetting that someone sees Buddha as an external agency that might be "invoked" as a separate entity but for that person to then start getting mistaken views about intention is the nail in the coffin.

I will not accept that following a religion blindly is more valid than enquiring on the pure nature of the Buddha-self.
garudha

Postby garudha » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:06 pm

You are what your deep, driving desire is.
As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny.

Brihadaranyaka Upanishad IV 4.5

Now that's what I call wisdom!

...cultivating a mistaken view of 'right intention' in the noble eightfold path

If you cultivate any view of intention then you've fallen into a trap of delusion about your self.

You really need to step back, press the pause button, and think about what intention actually is.

To think that you can change it or modify it - like your hair style - is madness.

You are intention. You are the will. You are that!
garudha

Postby JamyangTashi » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:19 pm

garudha wrote:Brihadaranyaka Upanishad IV 4.5

Now that's what I call wisdom!

Some important differences between the teachings in the Upanishads and the teachings of Buddhism are explained briefly on wikipedia in the discussion of Buddhist and Hindu soteriology.

garudha wrote:You are intention. You are the will. You are that!

This might be the perspective of the Upanishads, but the Upanishads are not a Buddhist teaching.
JamyangTashi

Postby tingdzin » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:44 pm

Thankk you Huifeng and Qianxi -- this is the kind of posting that is the best thing about this forum
tingdzin

Previous

Return to Zen