Mantras in Zen Buddhism

Re: Mantras in Zen Buddhism

Postby Jikan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:46 pm

Pedagogy just means teaching and the rationale behind teaching. I'm asking why Kennett chose to teach the way she did, which is the topic you raised. Why did she advise the extraordinary and novel practice of practicing mantra in translation? That is a pedagogic question, having to do with teaching.

I just asked a linguistics expert (me) and found out that the measure of accuracy in translation is reducible to plausibility. There is more than one way to translate something plausibly from one language to another, with accuracy. In saying this, I am actually giving your group's translation of the Gate mantra some benefit of the doubt. This seems to elude you.

Frankly Sara, you are having a hard time putting together a coherent argument in this thread, and consequently you are resorting to pedantics and rhetorical flourishes. This is no way to convince people of your position. Here's a lifeline for you:

Can you show that the OBC practice of mantra-in-translation is in fact a traditional approach in Soto Zen, or any other tradition at all anywhere? OR

Can you show that Kennett had some kind of rationale for directing her students to do this?

either of these angles will get you out of the jam you are in here.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Sara H » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:17 pm

So you know, I started to go through your thing and to begin to refute it line by line, but you know, I don't want to fight with you.

If you have questions of why they did something ask them.

Their phone number is 530.926.4208

That's for Shasta Abbey.

I'm not going to debate with you over why they did something. I wasn't involved in the decision making. So that's a pointless argument.

If you want to know, just ask them.

Rev. Hubert I'm sure is available to talk by appointment, and I'm sure if you leave a message and a good time to call you back he'd be happy to speak to you.

In Gassho,

Sara
"Life is full of suffering. AND Life is full of the Eternal
IT IS OUR CHOICE
We can stand in our shadow, and wallow in the darkness,
OR
We can turn around.
It is OUR choice." -Rev. Basil

" ...out of fear, even the good harm one another. " -Rev. Dazui MacPhillamy
Sara H

Postby pueraeternus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:51 pm

Jikan wrote:Here's a lifeline for you:

Sara H wrote:Their phone number is 530.926.4208

So I guess you decided to "Call a friend"? :D
If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true of false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced.

- The Open-Ended Proof from The Panoplia Prophetica
pueraeternus

Postby icylake » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:31 pm

in korean Buddhism ,Mantra and dharani is very important, essencial part of ceremany like other traditions.

morning ceremany: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMYgpiqnGAY. (shurangama, mahakaruna, and others)
everyday noon offering : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQkdMgBwUDk.

especially maha karuna mantra and shurangama mantra are considered sd the most important mantra for practitionners. especially some manasteries don't let a wondering monk join sitting meditation retreat unless he can memorize and recite shurangama mantra(for example, Hae in sa temple)
icylake

Postby Beatzen » Fri May 10, 2013 7:28 pm

I'm not sure if it's specific to Taizan Maezumi's dharma heirs, but my Roshi, Chozen Bays, is very fond of Jizo Bodhisattva (she's also a pediatrician). We regularly chant his mantra.

Om Ka Ka Kabi San Mae Sowa Ka.
"Cause is not before and Effect is not after"
- Eihei Dogen Zenji
Beatzen

Postby Seishin » Tue May 28, 2013 1:16 pm

Her book on the practice (on my wish list) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jizo-Bodhisattv ... 1590300807

Gassho,
Seishin
Seishin
Former staff member

Previous

Return to Zen