Bankei's "method" of abiding in the unborn

Re: Bankei's "method" of abiding in the unborn

Postby Matt J » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:08 pm

I don't how it is for you, but this is definitely not how it is for me. For me, thoughts, feelings, etc. appear fully formed, sometimes in succession. For instance, if some says something I don't like, I don't think, "Well, I am this body-mind..." and so on. Those thought processes, if any, happen off-line. In fact, because they happen off-line, I'm not sure we can say they happen at all, except via inference.

Astus wrote:Anger, anxiety, fear, lust, etc. don't arise spontaneously, we give rise to them by first identifying with our thoughts and making judgements about things being attractive, repulsive or uninteresting, then again holding the emotion generated by our thoughts thus eventually giving rise to action. When it seems that emotions or actions appear by themselves it is the case that we don't recognise our thought processes, which is ignorance, unawareness. That's why abiding in the unborn means that no ideas and impulses take over the control.
The Great Way is not difficult
If only there is no picking or choosing
--- Xin Xin Ming

http://nondualism.org/
Matt J

Re: Bankei's "method" of abiding in the unborn

Postby Astus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:22 pm

Matt,

Whatever appears, see that it is something born, not your real nature, and let it return to the unborn, let it dissolve on its own. You have to maintain grasping at an emotion or thought to make it stay, and grasping happens because you regard it as your real nature.
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

"Neither cultivation nor seated meditation — this is the pure Chan of Tathagata."
(Mazu Daoyi, X1321p3b23; tr. Jinhua Jia)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T2076p461b24-26)
Astus
Former staff member

Previous

Return to Zen