Fate

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Fate

Postby lotwell » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:42 am

Do you find a contradiction between fate and karma?

Can there be such a thing as fate?

Lotwell
lotwell

Re: Fate

Postby Andrew108 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:13 am

There is no fate unless you are lazy about karma. But the karmic situation is VERY workable. Contact Milarepa for details.
Last edited by Andrew108 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew108

Postby oushi » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:20 am

As there is no way of breaking the causal chain, there is fate. There is only one path, and we can call it fate. But, if there is only fate, and nothing outside of it, the idea behind the word "fate" losses its meaning. There is only whole and perfect reality and we are always in it.
As I see it, it is not the same as karma. Karma is accumulated when we, by thinking the there are many paths, build up preferences toward one of them. In other words, karma comes from expectations, and hits back when those are not fulfilled. So karma is caused by ignorance, and assumption that there is something more the fate, which is impossible, as fate is everything in sameness.
oushi

Postby Jeff » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:01 pm

Karma is like a "law of physics"... A body in motion stays in motion. Fate is the "result" of that motion. But, every moment is "new", and focused in the moment, one can apply energy and change the direction of the motion.

The key is existing in the moment...

:smile:
Jeff

Postby Seishin » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:33 pm

To me, fate isn't anything like karma. To me, fate is something predetermined and can't be changed or altered. So no matter what I do that will always be the outcome. Where as I understand karma as something changeable and not predetermined.

Gassho,
Seishin
Seishin
Global Moderator

Return to Open Dharma