Should Buddhists make children as much as possible?

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Should Buddhists make children as much as possible?

Postby gyougan » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:26 am

It is said that being born as a human being is a rare gift since only as humans we can practice Dharma. Doesn't this imply that we should have as many children as possibly so that more sentient beings can have the precious privilege of being born as a human being - and the chance to practice Dharma?

I have never heard any Buddhist teacher recommend having children because of this reason. Why is that?
gyougan

Re: Should Buddhists make children as much as possible?

Postby Lhug-Pa » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:43 am

Quotes such as this from H.H. the Dalai Lama might explain a significant part of it:

Dharmawheel Thread: Buddha on Romantic Relationships

Or this Berzinarchives link with an interview with H.H. the Dalai Lama:

The Vow Not to Lose Seminal Energy-Drops

Of course it's still possible for children of Buddhist parents to be born into this world, even through the above-mentioned sexual methods; just not as likely.

:anjali:
Last edited by Lhug-Pa on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lhug-Pa

Postby Konchog1 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:45 am

gyougan wrote:It is said that being born as a human being is a rare gift since only as humans we can practice Dharma. Doesn't this imply that we should have as many children as possibly so that more sentient beings can have the precious privilege of being born as a human being - and the chance to practice Dharma?

I have never heard any Buddhist teacher recommend having children because of this reason. Why is that?
I think it's because it's the other way around, people have the chances to have more children if more beings are being reborn as humans and need the parents. It's not like in Catholicism, where you have children so you can save their souls.

Maybe, I don't know, this is a big guess.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Konchog1

Postby plwk » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:47 am

As if our planet is not congested already...
plwk

Postby Blue Garuda » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:07 am

I like children...........but I couldn't eat more than two. ;)

I've made a couple of them.

I think they should be mandatory for Buddhists - to practise compassion, patience, tonglen etc.

It also works both ways - being a child presents the same opportunities. I'd say it is better being a child in a family than sitting and trying to imagine feelings about mothers whilst sitting in a monastery.

We do need to bear in mind that for most people there is choice involved in being a parent and none about being a child, and think very carefully before mating. ;)
Left
Blue Garuda

Postby plwk » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:30 am

Why Blue Garuda, does thou thinkest for a moment that without children, one cannot practise compassion, patience, tonglen etc.? My ex bosses are more than what I can handle already.... or that tuxedo cat... :tongue:
plwk

Postby Blue Garuda » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:24 pm

plwk wrote:Why Blue Garuda, does thou thinkest for a moment that without children, one cannot practise compassion, patience, tonglen etc.? My ex bosses are more than what I can handle already.... or that tuxedo cat... :tongue:

My experience of many bosses is their ability to find their 'inner child' and have very realistic temper tantrums, screaming fits and sulks.

Can't imagine what it was, working with me, that could cause them to behave that way. LOL :)
Left
Blue Garuda

Postby Nosta » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:21 pm

I made a similar question at a few weeks ago.

I think that if you are a lay person, one can have children with such noble purpose in mind.

If you are an ordained monk, thinks are different and sex, raising children etc would be bad on your practice. Bur with lay persons (but buddhists), they can see the idea of raising a child as an unique oportunity to help and care others. Specially its great to raise someone in a buddhist family, the child will have a better chance to meet the Dharma.
Nosta

Return to Open Dharma