Karma, Rebirth, Dead Ringers, the Illusion of Individuality

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Karma, Rebirth, Dead Ringers, the Illusion of Individuality

Postby deepbluehum » Sat May 05, 2012 5:19 pm

Please see this link: http://blog.sfgate.com/dailydish/2012/05/04/celebrity-lookalikes/#4393-2

When I see dead ringers like this, I really understand the illusion of self-nature, and rebirth seems really normal. I think of a rebirth as a dead ringer, whose mind is so similar, the memory continues. I also think of it like the chirping of crickets; it sounds identical but you hear it in another place.
deepbluehum

Re: Karma, Rebirth, Dead Ringers, the Illusion of Individuality

Postby ronnewmexico » Sat May 05, 2012 6:10 pm

Dead ringers..how about dopplegangers.

Ever have someone see you i a parking lot start talking to you as in the middle of a conversation, then you realizing they are talking to someone else who they think is you, apparently of very very recent experience like a hour or so ago...do you tell them you are not that person but apparently present so similar to that person you are virtually indistinguishable. I....decided to let them talk and act as if I was that person. Nothing important anyway said seemed....less disturbing to them I guessed.

And then have friends all once standing agape mouths about wide open telling one how they had just seen one pass by but in a different vehicle in a different garb...what do you say to them...just ignored it I did.

Can you tell others this reality has bends and twists to it and is not solid as we perceive it...no.
But factually it is this way and more.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
ronnewmexico

Return to Open Dharma