Jain Arhats vs Buddhist Arhats

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Jain Arhats vs Buddhist Arhats

Postby himalayanspirit » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:44 pm

The Jains existed in India even long before Buddhism emerged in the scene. Even Mahavira, the last Jina of Jains, was an older contemporary of Buddha. We know from Jain history that the word "Arhat" was first used by the Jains in India's history. Buddhists later used this same term while giving it a more buddhist meaning.

So what are the differences between Jain Arhats and Buddhist Arhats in terms of their attainments? Jains also believed in the Jhanas that the Buddhists believe in. So in this contexts what is the comparison between the Arhats of the two religions?
himalayanspirit

Re: Jain Arhats vs Buddhist Arhats

Postby DarwidHalim » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:16 pm

Buddhism is the only teaching that tell us: in all diversity of appearances, whether they are visual appearances, sound appearances, taste appearances, perceiving appearances, smell apperances , thoughts appearances, all of them have no substances, have no concreteness, have no soul.

Although arhat may not realize the emptinesss of phenomena, for sure they realize the emptiness of self. In this sense, there is no soul at all. Although there is this continuity of consciousness in conventional term, in absolute term it is just a imagination which is baseless. There is no way you can find where is this consciousness. Although you cannot find it, it is obvious that it is not nothingness, because there is this wakefulness.

Because arhat has a perfect realization of having no self, there is no way he can get attach, because there is no base that can grasp. He is absolutely free from grasping. He cannot be reborn anymore. Samsara forms because of grasping. No grasping, no samsara.

In Jains, there is soul. As long as there is soul, that soul is subjected to grasping and fear. Although they may claim knowin there is a soul can free from samsara, it is not possible.

When you have the soul, there is always a separation between this soul and it's surrounding. This separation is the room for the attachment, fear, hope, etc. to grow. You cannot run away from all of that, if you have a sense of soul.

So, arhat in jaism cannot free from samsara even jainism claim their arhat is free from samsara.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
DarwidHalim

Return to Open Dharma