The Science of Visualization

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

The Science of Visualization

Postby Tsering927 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:10 pm

http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2011/09/22/brain-movies/

"Imagine tapping into the mind of a coma patient, or watching one’s own dream on YouTube. With a cutting-edge blend of brain imaging and computer simulation, scientists at the University of California, Berkeley, are bringing these futuristic scenarios within reach.

Using functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) and computational models, UC Berkeley researchers have succeeded in decoding and reconstructing people’s dynamic visual experiences – in this case, watching Hollywood movie trailers.

As yet, the technology can only reconstruct movie clips people have already viewed. However, the breakthrough paves the way for reproducing the movies inside our heads that no one else sees, such as dreams and memories, according to researchers."

Is this a scientific link between science and Buddhist visualization? Can the realized Masters see and receive our visualized offerings? The article is viewing the breakthrough through, for the most part, the lens of medicine--how to communicate with stroke victims, coma patients and people with neurodegenerative diseases.

But, doesn't it also suggest that the visualizations in, specifically Buddhism--probably also other traditions--are shared? It is just something I've been thinking about. I have had the experience--or I felt--that a Rinpoche could see, add to and improve--or clarify--my visualization...I am not positively certain of this...I am just wondering.

“This is a major leap toward reconstructing internal imagery,” said Professor Jack Gallant, a UC Berkeley neuroscientist and coauthor of the study published online today (Sept. 22) in the journal Current Biology. “We are opening a window into the movies in our minds.”
It is said that you can tell whether someone has just eaten by how red his face is. Similarly, you can tell whether people know and practice the Dharma by whether it works as a remedy for their negative emotions and ego-clinging. --Jetsun Mila

The hungry are not satisfied by hearing about food; what they need is to eat. In the same way, just to know about Dharma is useless; it has to be practiced. --Jetsun Mila
Tsering927

Return to Open Dharma