This is your brain on Madhyamaka....

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: This is your brain on Madhyamaka....

Postby Thug4lyfe » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:39 am

Academic discussions on the internet forum is very difficult for Buddhism. Since there's pretty 0% members of the Sangha involved.
Thug4lyfe

Postby gad rgyangs » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:11 am

Food_Eatah wrote:Academic discussions on the internet forum is very difficult for Buddhism. Since there's pretty 0% members of the Sangha involved.

its actually because theres pretty much 0% of actual scholars involved. Our own Ven. Huifeng is about the only one who ventures into the murky waters of e-sangha type boards. Namdrol is as good as a academically-trained scholar except he doesn't like to give useable references unless you twist his arm. :tongue:
Thoroughly tame your own mind.
This is (possibly) the teaching of Buddha.
gad rgyangs

Postby Thug4lyfe » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:50 am

Venerable Huifeng rulz :thumbsup:
Thug4lyfe

Postby Mr. G » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:02 pm

Food_Eatah wrote:Academic discussions on the internet forum is very difficult for Buddhism. Since there's pretty 0% members of the Sangha involved.

Being in the Sangha is not a magic bullet in providing good academic discussion.

gad rgyangs wrote:its actually because theres pretty much 0% of actual scholars involved. Our own Ven. Huifeng is about the only one who ventures into the murky waters of e-sangha type boards. Namdrol is as good as a academically-trained scholar except he doesn't like to give useable references unless you twist his arm. :tongue:

In addition to Namdrol and Ven. Huifeng, I would add the following in no particular order:

Jnana
Huseng
Astus

I'm sure there are others I've missed.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Malcolm » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:19 pm

gad rgyangs wrote:Namdrol is as good as a academically-trained scholar except he doesn't like to give useable references unless you twist his arm. :tongue:

No, definitley not. I am a traditionally trained acarya. I don't have the temperment for the rigors of academic writing.

N
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

" The one who teaches the benefits of peace,
he is said to be a ṛṣī; the others are the opposite of him."

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby Indrajala » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:36 pm

Most academics in Buddhist Studies are not monastics.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala
Former staff member

Postby Mr. G » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:41 pm

Namdrol wrote:I don't have the temperment for the rigors of academic writing.

What do you mean Namdrol?
    How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby gad rgyangs » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:07 pm

Mr. G wrote:In addition to Namdrol and Ven. Huifeng, I would add the following in no particular order:

Jnana
Huseng
Astus

Ph.D.s in Buddhist studies?
gad rgyangs

Postby Malcolm » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:33 pm

Mr. G wrote:

It requires discipline.

N
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

" The one who teaches the benefits of peace,
he is said to be a ṛṣī; the others are the opposite of him."

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby Thug4lyfe » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:17 pm

That section of the forum should be more accurately called "frivilous discussion of Buddhism by fans"
Thug4lyfe

Postby Huifeng » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:59 am

Namdrol wrote:
Mr. G wrote:

It requires discipline.

N

:jumping:
Huifeng

Postby Indrajala » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:09 am

gad rgyangs wrote:

its actually because theres pretty much 0% of actual scholars involved. Our own Ven. Huifeng is about the only one who ventures into the murky waters of e-sangha type boards. Namdrol is as good as a academically-trained scholar except he doesn't like to give useable references unless you twist his arm. :tongue:

In my humble opinion most academically-trained scholars get too much hype about their abilities and qualifications. A PhD degree doesn't really mean anything, even if it comes from a supposedly high quality university somewhere.
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala
Former staff member

Postby gad rgyangs » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:16 am

Huseng wrote:
gad rgyangs wrote:

In my humble opinion most academically-trained scholars get too much hype about their abilities and qualifications. A PhD degree doesn't really mean anything, even if it comes from a supposedly high quality university somewhere.

you mean like how a robe or a geshe degree doesn't really mean anything, even if it comes from a famous monastery?
gad rgyangs

Postby Indrajala » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:25 am

gad rgyangs wrote:you mean like how a robe or a geshe degree doesn't really mean anything, even if it comes from a famous monastery?

As they say robes don't make the monk.

I think degrees don't make the scholar.
Dharma Depository (Site)

Indrajala
Former staff member

Postby gad rgyangs » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:35 am

Huseng wrote:
gad rgyangs wrote:you mean like how a robe or a geshe degree doesn't really mean anything, even if it comes from a famous monastery?

glad to see your view is balanced. i must say, however, when it comes to critical thinking, in general, western trained scholars run rings around any traditionally trained scholars, imo. without critical thinking, one is indistinguishable from a fundamentalist. and the hallmark of the fundamentalist is lack of critical thinking. the best of both worlds is occasionally obtained by those with both trainings: Georges Dreyfus, Matthieu Ricard, Thupten Jinpa, to name a few.
gad rgyangs

Postby Indrajala » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:38 am

gad rgyangs wrote:
Huseng wrote:

glad to see your view is balanced. i must say, however, when it comes to critical thinking, in general, western trained scholars run rings around any traditionally trained scholars, imo. without critical thinking, one is indistinguishable from a fundamentalist. and the hallmark of the fundamentalist is lack of critical thinking. the best of both worlds is occasionally obtained by those with both trainings: Georges Dreyfus, Matthieu Ricard, Thupten Jinpa, to name a few.

It depends on what your purposes are.

If you want to trace the development of Buddhism, then western academia is key.

If you want to become enlightened and liberate yourself from samsara, then pursuing a geshe degree coupled with practice is a better option.
Dharma Depository (Site)

Indrajala
Former staff member

Postby gad rgyangs » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:48 am

Huseng wrote:It depends on what your purposes are.

If you want to trace the development of Buddhism, then western academia is key.

If you want to become enlightened and liberate yourself from samsara, then pursuing a geshe degree coupled with practice is a better option.

its not that "western academia" is the key, rather, uncompromising pursuit of truth is the key. this requires not taking anything for granted, not sleepwalking, which unfortunately can occur in either academia or shedra if one simply believes everything one is told and just parrots the words of others, thinking that doing so is the same as realization. questioning everything like a western academic and practicing like a yogi would be my Rx for success.
gad rgyangs

Postby Sherab Dorje » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:00 am

gad rgyangs wrote:...questioning everything like a western academic and practicing like a yogi would be my Rx for success.
Everything??? I think you would find that it would generate too much doubt in order for one to concentrate on their yogic practice. I believe that one needs a balance between faith and questioning/reasoning otherwise all you are doing is reinventing the wheel. Do you think you have enough time to reinvent the wheel?
:namaste:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby Mr. G » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:45 pm

Mr. G wrote:

Being in the Sangha is not a magic bullet in providing good academic discussion.

gad rgyangs wrote:its actually because theres pretty much 0% of actual scholars involved. Our own Ven. Huifeng is about the only one who ventures into the murky waters of e-sangha type boards. Namdrol is as good as a academically-trained scholar except he doesn't like to give useable references unless you twist his arm. :tongue:

In addition to Namdrol and Ven. Huifeng, I would add the following in no particular order:

Jnana
Huseng
Astus

I forgot to add Anders Honore (he hasn't been posting as much) :(
    How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby daelm » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:08 pm

alwayson wrote:
gad rgyangs wrote:
he also has a website http://www.jesusisbuddha.com/

This is a good thing.

If you actually click on it, he proves Christianity is from Buddhism. :thumbsup:

unfortunately, he seems to get there by numerical analysis. i stopped half way down the first page when i failed to get past "...Assuming, moreover, that the reader agrees with me that 108-100 as well as 666-888 are basic lucky numbers for the authors or editors of the New Testament, the next question - also not seriously faced by scholars before now - has to do with the historical background. Why was 108 considered, so to speak, their lucky number?".

he reads like a classic shizophrenic, up to and including the use of idiosyncratic pseudo-mathematical formulations to describe himself and his ideas.

d
daelm

PreviousNext

Return to Open Dharma