Guilt

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: Guilt

Postby Thug4lyfe » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:30 am

gregkavarnos wrote:You were brought up by atheist parents in an atheist society?

I was actually born and raised for many years of my life in an athiest country by athiest parents. When I moved to the West, I hanged with athiest friends and "non practicing christians" bashing religions.

By the way, we get heaps of support from the Catholic community for our temple. So they are good bunch of folks. I also got nothing against Abrahamic religion, if anything I see alot of good Western religion have done for the community here in New Zealand. Whats happened in the past is the past. I really can't change your mind because you probably associate everything with "America" and grudges with the hardship you've suffered in the past. But thats caused by your own karma.

I am biased because of my own perceptions, don't pretend your not heavily biased as well. If someone is having trouble quitting smoking and giving up the booze, your going to tell them "chill out and don't worry about!"?
Thug4lyfe

Postby Sherab Dorje » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:05 am

Born and raised in an atheist country? Like an "Eastern Bloc" country? But even those had dormant or quietly functioning religious practices. So an atheist country is not really a reality.

I was steeped in Greek Orthodox Christianity (which is a shame based and not a guilt based religion), but I was also educated by Irish Catholic monks (in New Zealand) and seriously considered becoming a priest until I hit adolescence where I became rabidly anti-religious. Buddhism (and Taoism) initially attracted me because its Canon (well the Theravadra Canon mainly) offered spirituality without overtly religious overtones. Later, in Vajrayana I discovered a different layer of meaning to religiousity.
By the way, we get heaps of support from the Catholic community for our temple. So they are good bunch of folks.
Not judging Catholics, but picking apart aspects of Catholicism.
...if anything I see alot of good Western religion have done for the community here in New Zealand
Well then obviously you are unaware of the role that Christianity played in the cultural and religious colonisation of the Maori of Aotearoa (and the Aborigine of Australia, the indigenous people of South American and...) Let alone the destruction of existing religious, political, economic and social structures following its arrival in North Africa and Europe.
I really can't change your mind because you probably associate everything with "America" and grudges with the hardship you've suffered in the past. But thats caused by your own karma.
This statement is just plain stupid, except for the bit about "my own karma". I am not saying that Catholicism (or any -ism) is all bad, I am saying that the guilt instilled by the religious format of Catholicism is not at all helpful and this has absolutely NOTHING to do with "America".
I am biased because of my own perceptions, don't pretend your not heavily biased as well. If someone is having trouble quitting smoking and giving up the booze, your going to tell them "chill out and don't worry about!"?
Of course I am biased. I have not pretended otherwise. If you bothered reading what I wrote (instead of just projecting) you will see that I did not say anywhere "just chill out". Though, I must admit, in any endeavour, the ability to relax before dealing with an issue is extraordinarily important and helpful.

So just chill out and look at what I am saying. :meditate:
:namaste:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Thug4lyfe » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:34 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:but I was also educated by Irish Catholic monks (in New Zealand) :

oh cool, kia ora bro! :)
Thug4lyfe

Postby Thug4lyfe » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:40 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:Well then obviously you are unaware of the role that Christianity played in the cultural and religious colonisation of the Maori of Aotearoa (and the Aborigine of Australia, the indigenous people of South American and...) Let alone the destruction of existing religious, political, economic and social structures following its arrival in North Africa and Europe.

I am actually aware of all that stuff, but that sheet in is the past, and holding onto past grudges is keeping indigneous people like the Maoris back. I think I've already mentioned earlier I am pretty anti-religion in the past due to the whole imperialism, fundemtnalism and culture genocide etc etc, but learning the Dharma taught me talking about that stuff all the time isn't going to liberate anyone. Frankly I learnt to drop all that fight fire with fire stuff after learning Buddhism. Although I am learning to come back again and sympathesis with the left again, but thats not a hard thing to do.

Know wat im sayin?
Thug4lyfe

Postby Thug4lyfe » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:01 pm

And dun worry Greg, I ain't mad wid jo! I am mad wid myself okay? :p

Thug4lyfe

Previous

Return to Open Dharma