Buddhist Geeks 2012 Conference

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: Buddhist Geeks 2012 Conference

Postby Josef » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:48 pm

Chaz wrote:
Nangwa wrote:
Chaz wrote:
I made a list of recognized Buddhist teachers that have been Vince Horn's guest at least once.

Richard Reoch, Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche, Sara Harding, Surya Das, Trudy Goodman, Stephen Batchelor, Christopher Titmuss, Diane Hamilton, Bernie Glassman, Sumi Loundon Kim, Hokai Sobol, Richard Brown, James Zito, Kenneth Folk, Jiun Foster, Grace Schireson Genpo Merzel Roshi, Rick Hanson, Vincent Horn, Judith Simmer-Brown, Rodney Smith, Kenneth Cohen, Jaimal Yogis, Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche, Erik Curren, Danny Fisher, Norman Fischer, Brad Warner, Gaylon Ferguson, Tami Simon, Susan Blackmore, Daniel Ingram, Diana Winston, Richard Shankman, Gerry Shishin Wick, Joseph Goldstein, Reginald Ray, Jun Po Denis Kelly, Jeffrey Hopkins, Ven. Robina Courtin, Nova Spivack, B. Alan Wallace, Melvin McLeod, Stuart Lachs, Susan Piver, John Daido Loori, Diane Hamilton, Wes Nisker, Noah Levine, Thubten Chodron, Sharon Salzberg, Ethan Nichtern, Robert Spellman, John Travis, Annie McQuade, Fleet Maull, and Phil Stanley.

There are several people on that list that I wouldnt consider to be Buddhist teachers.

Really? Care to name them?

In addition to the ones Namdrol mentioned I would add:
Jaimal Yogis
Ethan Nichtern
Brad Warner
Stephen Batchelor
Josef

Postby Chaz » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:51 pm

Dechen Norbu wrote:Now, the % thing mr gordo used is probably a figure of speech more than anything. Should he have said 75,5%?

A figure of speech? Hardly.

The real number is probably far different from the 90% gordo offered. It's probably not even close. You can't even call it "exageration" (which would be a more appropriate term than "figure of speech"). A "figure of speech" would be something along the lines of "a shitload".

No, they don't have to like BG, but the thing is, there are people who are going to read that post of gordo's and come away thinking that BG is actually 90% New Age or something else non-Buddhist. That's offering misinformation (if not outright lying) to the public and unfairly disparages Vince Horn's efforts.
Chaz

Postby Dechen Norbu » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:05 pm

With that panel of guests I don't think his efforts are that valuable. I imagine a newcomer listening to a podcast and by chance catching an episode when guys like Stephen Batchelor, Brad Warner or Susan Blackmore are being aired and ending up with his mind filled with rubbish passing as Dharma. If I saw a panel mostly comprised by excellent Buddhist teachers, I would appreciate the effort. Being as it is, I don't know what's the point. Is it transmitting Dharma or misinformation about it?Image
Just my opinion though. I take it you're a fan...
I don't see many impressive names there. Perhaps Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche, Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche, Alan Wallace, Thubten Chodron and very few others. One has to be lucky to catch a show with an interesting teacher, and a good interview (because the sort of questions also matter a lot and usually they aren't pretty impressive) not the other way around. At least that's how I see it. Feel free to disagree.
Dechen Norbu

Postby Josef » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:07 pm

Dechen Norbu wrote:With that panel of guests I don't think his efforts are that valuable. I imagine a newcomer listening to a podcast and by chance catching an episode when guys like Stephen Batchelor, Brad Warner or Susan Blackmore are being aired and ending up with his mind filled with rubbish passing as Dharma. If I saw a panel mostly comprised by excellent Buddhist teachers, I would appreciate the effort. Being as it is, I don't know what's the point. Is it transmitting Dharma or misinformation about it?

Seconded.
Josef

Postby Thug4lyfe » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:54 pm

cool, playing computer games is practicing the Dharma!!!! :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup:
Thug4lyfe

Postby catlady2112 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:07 am

I used to like their podcast, but now I find more and more they interview people who tend to disparage traditional Buddhist cultures as a basis for making a point. In other words the interviewees spend too much time talking about what they *don't* like about traditional Buddhist cultures rather than what the *do* like. Now it seems more like a backlash towards anything considered traditional.
catlady2112

Previous

Return to Open Dharma