Ultimate Truth

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Ultimate Truth

Postby KevinSolway » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:07 am

alwayson wrote:
KevinSolway wrote:My main practice, for the last thirty years, has been the practice of seeing the Ultimate Truth in all things.

Which is what in two sentences?

I can only point you to what it is. Whether I can put it in words is rather questionable.

The multitude of things that we perceive are drawn for convenience, like an artist might draw shapes on a blank canvas. If we try to find what absolutely separates one thing from another, we can't find it.

This understanding, in the first place, is only intellectual. I was personally fortunate enough to have a very thorough understanding of such matters in my teens, and could apply this knowledge, to practical effect, to literally everything. But in my early twenties I reached a point which I experienced like a landslide, and a huge shifting of the ground, where everything gathered pace and could not return to it's previous position. My view of all that was around me had become hugely clearer - like the lifting of a fog - and things that would previously take me one or two seconds to understand I could now understand instantly and without effort. However, that realization would not persist in full clarity, and effortlessly, at all times. And so I began the process of lengthening the time that I could maintain that clear consciousness, and thinking, effortlessly, through practice. And that's what I have been doing ever since.

Sorry, that was more than two sentences.
Last edited by KevinSolway on Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
KevinSolway

Re: Ultimate Truth

Postby alwayson » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:12 am

You think you realized rigpa??

Thats not possible unless you have had direct introduction.
alwayson

Postby KevinSolway » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:18 am

alwayson wrote:not possible unless you have had direct introduction.

My Guru is the world around me, Nature. That is the only way to have a direct introduction to Ultimate Truth.
KevinSolway

Postby alwayson » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:23 am

So you believe you have realized rigpa?
alwayson

Postby KevinSolway » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:28 am

alwayson wrote:So you believe you have realized rigpa?

You have your own understanding of what rigpa means. And part of your understanding, it seems, is that it is only attainable through a human guru. And since my Guru is the world around me, then I obviously haven't realized what you personally call rigpa.
KevinSolway

Postby Virgo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:36 am

What do you believe occurs after death?

Kevin
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं
http://www.ripple.org

Kevin
. . .
Virgo

Postby alwayson » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:54 am

Virgo wrote:What do you believe occurs after death?

Kevin

To be fair, even in Buddhism, ONLY high level yogis are supposed to have personal experience with rebirth.

I forget the bhumi level.... or maybe its a jhana level.
alwayson

Postby Virgo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:06 am

alwayson wrote:

Kevin

To be fair, even in Buddhism, ONLY high level yogis are supposed to have personal experience with rebirth.

I forget the bhumi level.... or maybe its a jhana level.

Well I didn't ask him if he knows what happens after death but what he believes happens.

Kevin
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं
http://www.ripple.org

Kevin
. . .
Virgo

Postby wisdom » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:19 am

KevinSolway wrote:
I can only point you to what it is. Whether I can put it in words is rather questionable.

The profound and Ultimate Truth! :quoteunquote:

Followed by-

KevinSolway wrote:This understanding, in the first place, is only intellectual.

Intellectual understanding is easy and simple to put into words.

And then-

KevinSolway wrote: and thinking, effortlessly, through practice. And that's what I have been doing ever since.

So there you have it. Effortless thinking is not rigpa by anyone's definition. At least as I understand it.

You're very good at thinking. Just gotta figure out how not to think. But don't over-think it!
wisdom

Postby KevinSolway » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:30 am

Plase watch my video about rebirth again. That's what the video was about.

What happens after death is the same sort of thing that happens before birth.
KevinSolway

Postby KevinSolway » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:52 am

wisdom wrote:Just gotta figure out how not to think.

Enlightened people are the only people who truly think. Nobody else does.

Since there is no thinking whatsoever in our world, I see it as part of my life's task to promote thinking.
KevinSolway

Postby Sherab Dorje » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:20 am

So do you believe that you "truly think", ie that you are Enlightened?
:namaste:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby KevinSolway » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:26 am

gregkavarnos wrote:So do you believe that you "truly think", ie that you are Enlightened?

You can make your own conclusions from what I've said.

But I must say that I don't regard your question as being meaningful, since I haven't seen any evidence that you know what things like "truly think" and "Enlightened" mean.
KevinSolway

Postby Sherab Dorje » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:37 am

alwayson wrote:You think you realized rigpa??

Thats not possible unless you have had direct introduction.
It is quite possible to have had an introduction in a previous lifetime, if you believe in previous lifetimes that is... ;)
Last edited by Sherab Dorje on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby muni » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:38 am

When we connect with a wise, he/she says: hey I am primordial purity and how are you fools? Then we are sure we can bow down.

Not mind but not other then...
muni

Postby KevinSolway » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:17 am

muni wrote:When we connect with a wise, he/she says: hey I am primordial purity and how are you fools?

:anjali:
KevinSolway

Postby Sherab Dorje » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:39 am

KevinSolway wrote:
gregkavarnos wrote:So do you believe that you "truly think", ie that you are Enlightened?

But I must say that I don't regard your question as being meaningful, since I haven't seen any evidence that you know what things like "truly think" and "Enlightened" mean.
Ummmm... I think you will find it is a question and not a conclusion and your unwillingness to answer it (or your answer to difficult questions always being to judge the other parties capacity to understand) unfortunately betrays your own lack of understanding and nothing else.
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby KevinSolway » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:48 am

gregkavarnos wrote:
KevinSolway wrote:

Ummmm... I think you will find it is a question and not a conclusion and your unwillingness to answer it (or your answer to difficult questions always being to judge the other parties capacity to understand) unfortunately betrays your own lack of understanding and nothing else.

Define what you mean by "Enlightened" (with a capital "E", no less) and I'll attempt to answer your question in a constructive manner.
KevinSolway

Postby Sherab Dorje » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:13 am

KevSolway wrote:Enlightened people are the only people who truly think. Nobody else does.
I draw your attention to your statement that was the basis for me asking my question. If anybody must define "Enlightened" with a capital "E" it is you since you brought the term into the discussion. I merely asked if you possessed this property.
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby KevinSolway » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:41 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:
KevSolway wrote:Enlightened people are the only people who truly think. Nobody else does.
I draw your attention to your statement that was the basis for me asking my question. If anybody must define "Enlightened" with a capital "E" it is you since you brought the term into the discussion. I merely asked if you possessed this property.

The reason my "Enlightened" had a capital "E" was that it was the first word of sentence. That is the convention in English if I'm not mistaken. I don't normally spell enlightened with a capital "E".

I believe I have had direct experience of Ultimate Reality, firstly in my early twenties, based on years of previous realizations. I have been a philosopher since the age of about seven. It's not something that happened overnight. But it should not be of any interest to you what I believe.

The reason I'm reluctant to answer your questions is that no matter what I say you will jump to conclusions and hear whatever suits yourself, such as when you imagined that I believe myself to be "omnipotent and omniscient". Your imagination is far too active.
KevinSolway

Next

Return to Open Dharma